three

| chaos (n): behavior so unpredictable as to appear random |

   MERCY WAS AS picturesque as a porcelain doll—if the doll in question had gone through an excruciatingly long emo phase.

Her face was caked with makeup, courtesy of Mavis. The girl was a master with the brushes and eyeshadows, and she covered up the gold and green veins across Mercy's eyelids with a dark, smoldering look. Extended winged eyeliner hid even more traces of her werewolf heritage, and Mercy, knowing that she needed to be careful, put colored contacts in to avoid any staring. She knew that only someone who was a werewolf would notice her unusual eye colors, but she wanted the night to be free of any possible outcomes, and for a few hours, she didn't want to be the Queen of Alphas.

She blinked back the burning from putting in the contacts, and Mavis was flapping her hands toward her face to try and help. "You are not ruining my masterpiece," she said, and Mercy smiled, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh really?" She said, watching in amusement as Mavis stared at her. "Well, I feel a rather sudden fit of emotions coming on. Oh no, the sadness is overwhelming, the tears are coming closer! I'm not sure I can hold them off!"

"Oh, shut up!" Mavis punched Mercy's shoulder, and the two girls bursted into a fit of giggles.

Quickly, Mavis ushered Mercy to try on the few outfits that she had stashed in the tent, considering that she normally kept most of her things at Jordyn's snug cottage. Mavis made her change three times before she approved, and Mercy tried to slip the clothes on fast; her friend was already set and prepared to go, despite spending most of their time focusing on hiding Mercy's true identity. Mavis was a master of getting ready under a short period of time, so she looked collected and well-put together in her sparkly crop top and matching pants. The iridescent glitter matched her makeup look, and it highlighted her platinum blonde hair. Even though she hated her dark roots at the top of her head, she decided to spice it up with a row of bedazzled jewels on the middle part of her hair. She looked very beautiful, and particularly flirtatious.

Mercy, on the other hand, with her dark makeup, decided to wear a white, loose dress that made her look more like a fairy than she intended. Her long hair ran down her back in soft waves, and she had placed a small flower crown on the top of her head. The flowers were white and black, and matched the contrast between her dress and the dark combat boots on her feet. She decided to go without a jacket, so her pale arms were open to the cold air, but once she was done changing, she was essentially ready to go.

But before they could leave, Mavis stopped her with a look. "You sure you wanna go tonight?" She asked sincerely, and Mercy was—yet again—grateful that she had a friend in Mavis. She was always making sure that Mercy was absolutely certain in her decisions, and the girl couldn't appreciate it more. "I mean, with your dad—"