Chapter IV: Calm before the Storm

-Rielle's-

Two days here in this place is already like hell. Why are there so many impurities here?

"I don't think I can heal anymore" Eris said as she was panting.

"Focus!" Our instructor shouted and we directed our attention to the two C rank impurities in front of us.

"Storm of Gaia!" I casted and a tall sand tornado manifested swirling around one of the impurities.

As it was trapped in my spell I casted another one.

"Stone spikes"

They pierced through the impurity turning the huge dog into black sand.

"Are you done yet Puck?!" I shouted as I watch him struggling against another animal-based impurity.

"A support doesn't only heal! You're also supposed to be capable of boosting mana and strength!" Lumen Azaka shouted to Eris as both him and the red-head were standing mid-air.

How do they do that?

I brought my attention back to Puck and Eris.

Yesterday we also battled impurities all day, and it's quite tiring.

Our instructors apparently won't help us but rather just watch us, evaluate us and tell us the things that we are lacking.

After watching our battle yesterday and also at the port, Lumen Azaka said that I focus too much on offensive leaving nothing for my defense and that Puck is the opposite, focusing too much on defense and nothing on offense. Regarding to Eris, as a support right now all she knows is healing which is just one of the many skills that a support should posses.

"Tomorrow Rielle will battle alone, Eris and Puck will team up so you'll understand what I'm trying to say better, maybe you have always battled on teams that's why you haven't really explored other positions yet or maybe you focused too much on the role given to your weapon, in the span of 2 weeks we will help you improve and you should also do your best to improve"

Or so he says, he hasn't actually told us anything on how to improve, do we figure it out on our own?

As I stand there another animal-based impurity appeared.

"I'm so goddamn tired" I murmured. We've been doing this all morning and all afternoon all we had as rest was the 30 minute lunch break ughh..

"Gaia" I called and a fan appeared in my hand, my weapon is an Earth spirit, a mage type belonging to A rank.

I was about to fight the Falcon when suddenly Aezier Friscx landed in front of me.

The falcon, more like an pterodactyl now because it grew in size big time is probably an A-rank impurity.

"You should rest" she said and jumped up and once again she was standing mid air.

A Katana appeared in her hand.

So that's Eclaise.

From what I heard Eclaise is supposed to have a black blade but hers was silver, maybe it's because she can't control her fully yet?

That's also why despite having a special class weapon she is still stuck as an A rank exorcist.

"Go Go Aezier Go~" The director shouted. What's with him, he's nothing like what I heard.

A heartless exorcists who shows no emotion, he sacrifices everything even his team's lives just to complete a mission.

That's what they told me but he acts more goofy and idiotic doesn't he?

In a matter of seconds the Falcon was already exorcised, I'm not even surprised.

I stared at her as she walks on air, suddenly she dashes and attacked Director who evaded it easily and then she just released Eclaise.

What's with them?

"Aegis!" Puck suddenly shouted and a burst of energy was released towards the impurity and the huge worm like creature turned into black dust.

He and Eris walked towards me and just sat on the ground like a child. Our two instructors approached us while the director was clapping.

"Excellent work~" he told us while Aezier was just looking at us blankly.

She could atleast act interested.

"That will be all for today later I will further explain how to be more flexible in the battle field for now let's head back to the van" Lumen Azaka said and walked away from us as all of us started to go after him.

Could've atleast told us what we needed to do before sending us to fight.

-Tine's-

While we were battling impurities here on the town square I can't help but worry about Aster. He's always too impatient and dives into mess too much.

It's been a while since we left and he hasn't met up with us yet. I know he's strong but with this so much impurities around... It's just that...

"Tine!" I went back to reality when an impurity was headed towards me with it's sharp claws.

"Wind cutter" I casted and blades of wind intercepted the impurity exorcising it.

They continue to increase in number.

There's no end to this.

After a whole day of fighting, impurities have finally stopped showing up.

When impurities realize that they stand no chance they decide to lie low or run away like any other creature due to instinct.

We returned to the Van but Aster wasn't there yet. We ate and then fixed our camp.

It was already 11:00 P.M. and everyone was preparing to rest, they all went in their tents but I stayed at the van and left the door open to wait for Aster.

I almost fell asleep at the seat when the bush made a noise, I slowly got up to look and there he was.

"Aster!" I exclaimed and rushed towards him, he had wounds all over his body and some burn marks, I put his arms on my shoulders to help him walk but he brushed me off.

"Aster you're-"

"Shut up" he intervened and continued walking towards the van.

Miss Amari went out their tent and looked at us.

"So you're still alive" she said. "Tine heal him" she commanded and I knodded and headed towards Aster.

"I don't need your help!" He shouted but I still went ahead.

"I SAID DON'T-" He couldn't finish when Miss Amari knocked him out.

"This'll make it easier don't you think?" she said then smiled at me and went back to the tent.

"Eurus" I called and a staff appeared, Eurus is a wind spirit, a mage type belonging to B rank, it also has healing capabilities that I haven't really mastered yet.

"Breath of healing" I casted and my staff started to glow, a soft breeze started to circle around us.

I spent almost 2 hours healing him and just eventually fell asleep due to mana depletion.

The next morning I woke up inside a tent. I was about to get up when Miss Zaia came in.

"Oh, good morning, you did a great job yesterday" she complemented and I thanked her.

I stood up and went out and everyone is already gone. They must've left already.

"Don't worry we'll follow them once you're ready or if you're still tired you take a rest for the day" she said but I changed my clothes and stretched up my body.

I can't slack off if I want to get stronger.

"I'm ready, Miss Zaia"