8

I quickly did the dishes and rushed to my room to pick out a bathing suit. I pulled out a red two piece and some sandals. I brushed out my knotted hair as I put on a gold layered necklace.

I loved the summer. I loved the beach. I loved tanning. I loved playing beach volleyball.

In short, I knew today was going to be a great day.

"You look cute." I say to Megan as she spins around in her life guard suit and hat.

"So do you."

We giggle as we get in her van.

"How many hours do you have to work today?"

"My shift is from 3 to 5."

"You better not be distracted by Jason." I tell her as I wink.

"Shut up." She pushes my shoulder. "At least he doesn't have secret children."

I stare at her for a few seconds. "MEGAN!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Shit, I'm just kidding. He probably doesn't... but you never know."

We finally get to the beach after all our bickering and I met up with Selena and Jason as Megan ran to her post.

"Hey you two." I walk over to hug Selena. "Need help with your bags?"

"No it's fine, I'll just put them in the chair."

I shrug my shoulders and I lean in to give Jason a hug. "Megan's been talking about you non-stop." I whisper in his ear as he blushes with a grin.

"Ummmm, Kate you might want to look behind you." Selena says worried.

I let go of Jason as I turn around. I frown at the sight of Val standing in front of me looking extremely pissed off.

"Why the hell is he here?" I ask Selena.

"I invited my baby so he probably made him come too." She whispers before jumping into Matteo's arms.

"Babyyyyyyy." She screams as he spins her around and they start eating each others faces out.

I roll my eyes as I lay down on my stomach on top of the towel. Why the fuck did he have to be here out of all people. I don't want to deal with him today.

"We're going to the water. There's an inflatable in my bag if you want to join." Selena shouts as she runs off with Matteo.

Ugh gross. Why is everyone around me so lovey dovey while my love life is shit.

"Inflatable?" I hear Val chuckle next to me. "You can't swim?"

"No, I can't. Do you have a problem with that."

"Let me teach you."

I look over at him as I catch him stare at my body. "No thanks. You're the last person I'd want as a teacher at the moment." I say as I put my head back down on my arms.

I suddenly hear a familiar voice so I look up.

"Kate? What a coincidence." My heart stops and my face turns pale.

"Cole!?" I jump up as my sun glasses fall.

My day couldn't get any worse.

"So... how have you been. I wanted to text you but you blocked me."

"Don't come any closer!" I shout as I step back and bump into Val's chest.

"Who is he?" I look up as he looks down at me. Was he always this tall?