Part thirty one

December 27, 2000.

He had made the decision after a few months. He did not want to continue living under the same roof as his family and he wanted to fulfill her wish. He needed space, his own home. He no longer wanted to continue in that cold and empty place. That morning, Draco was leaving Malfoy Manor forever and without looking back. He knew that under that roof he could not be happy although that already seemed something unattainable.

He had taken all of his and her things to take them to the new home, the one she had chosen for them after the wedding. Oddly enough, Draco Malfoy had agreed to live in a Muggle house, outside of the wizarding world. He wanted to spend some time away from all related with magic and what better way than to go to the Muggle world to live. After all, she had taught him the wonders of that world and he wanted to spend some time in the shadows, to go unnoticed by the world. Perhaps he would even find a steady job although for now he preferred to stay home taking advantage of the money his mother had offered to help him without his father knowing.

When he got to the new house, he put the pair of boxes he brought with him on the floor by the door and next to the rest of her things. He looked around the house for a moment, thinking of her and how much he liked the house she had chosen, remembering all the plans they had together for these four walls.

With a sigh, he started off. He began unpacking her things and carried them into their room, placing them as she had said she would.

He kept her dresses in the closet, carefully and ironed, just as she liked. Her shoes on a piece of furniture that he had made for her and arranged by colors, separating the 'everyday' shoes from the elegant ones. On her nightstand, her perfume and her favorite book to read at night. He put all her bathroom accessories in drawers and painstakingly placed her makeup, wondering why she bought it, for him she was already beautiful without needing to put on such a thing.

He put the photos of them and all of her friends on that empty wall that she wanted to fill with memories added to those they already had. He observed each photo in which she appeared, caressing her face in them, seeing how happy he saw her in the photographs, always with that smile that seemed to be able to fix the world. He could still hear it in his head, as if she was there.

Without realizing it, the morning had gone quickly while putting her things in the house and when he saw the time, he decided to take a break. He went into the kitchen, took out a bottle of whiskey from one of the cupboards, took a glass and filled it.

In one gulp he downed the glass of whiskey and poured himself another. With the bottle in his other hand, he walked to the kitchen table and sat down, letting out a heavy sigh. His eyes fell on the glass, half full, and he rolled it on the table, thoughtfully. His eyes drifted slightly to his hand, taking in the ring on his ring finger. As he did so, he couldn't help but give a small, wry chuckle.

Everything was completely silent, not even the cars on the street could be heard, thanks to the good location she had chosen, a bit far from the center but perfect for a life together in which they had thought about starting a family.

He finished his glass again, then poured himself another. He only wanted to get drunk until he lost consciousness, to avoid feeling everything he was feeling. He scratched his beard before taking another drink, sighing. It had been unshaven ever since and, as he was no longer a child and was beginning to be a man, it covered his face making itself visible.

It's true that Draco Malfoy had changed in the past three years, but right now it no longer made sense to him. Although he saw the world with different eyes, he did not stop blaming her for what she had done in him because perhaps, if she had not made him be like he was now, maybe he would not be suffering the absence of her.

Thinking of her was the best and worst he could do. He somehow, wanted to try not to do it, he felt angry but on the other hand he felt that if he did not do it she would be the one who would get angry.

After a few glasses of whiskey he decided to continue putting all her things. Some had even asked her mother, to keep at home. He placed all her books and CDs where they had decided between the two of them, he prepared that reading corner that she had asked him to have for those winter afternoons of which they had spoken.

After all, Draco thought that maybe, if he carefully arranged everything in the house as she wanted, as they had decided that their life in that house would be, maybe then, she would enter through that door and return to his side.