Chapter 5

[*Present Day*]

Jayson's Office @ 2:10am:

Jayson leaned over the railing of his balcony and watched the dark sky as he sipped some warm, sweet coffee. The sixth floor building his P.I office was in, was just one of many buildings.

Most of Gladen Falls were full of Magical, Enchanted and Mortal Beings, who didn't mind the differences amongst each other, but there were Beings who wanted to be alone whenever they came into town so they would seek solitude in the Eno Forest near Jayson's building for comfort.

The Witch would never admit it, but although he spent a majority of his Immortal life protecting people and helping them now and then; he enjoyed his alone time more than anything else. Then again, he didn't expect his morning to have comprised of being invited to a bachelor's house party, vanquishing a Vampire, seeing his ex-husband after five hundred years and finding out his mentor, Agatha, had been murdered.

Agatha, to many people in all Realms, was a force to be reckoned with; she was a woman who had remained old, yet Immortal since Jayson met her in 1490 A.D. He had heard stories about how vile, manipulative, cunning and dangerous she was but he never saw that side of her throughout their time together. She was always honest, headstrong, and powerful, and if it wasn't for her, Jayson wouldn't be where he was in the present day.

Nathaniel appeared in a blue light inside of Jayson's office. He looked around the loft and hoped to spot the Witch, but he was nowhere to be found. The Knight felt an icy breeze tickle the back of his neck and he turned to see the balcony door was open.

He slowly walked over to it to find the Witch leaned over the railing as he stared blankly at the night sky. "I was able to dump the remains in an unmarked tomb," the Knight said, and leaned against the doorframe.

"Why?" Jayson asked, but didn't take his eyes off of the night sky.

"Well, for starters," Nathaniel crossed his arms over his chest and continued, "the last thing we need right now is that creature being resurrected from his ashes. Dumping its remains in an unmarked tomb prevents it from being reborn. I may have flunked Magic School, but I have always been quite educated on the Demons that originate in the Underworld."

"Ah okay, that's smart thinking. Thank you, Nathaniel, you have been quite helpful."

Hearing the Witch call him 'Nathaniel' worried the Knight. Sure, it was his name after all, but the dynamic between both men was built on the foundation of Jayson calling Nathaniel 'Nathan'. It was a nickname he hated and most of all, it was that same nickname that caused the Knight to fall head over heels with the Witch centuries ago.

Nathaniel stepped out onto the balcony and walked over to the Witch as the Winter wind blew against both men as if it needed to remind them of the frigid and unforgiving season. "Red, I know I'm probably the last person you want to talk to or let alone see right now. I also know how close you and Agatha were, and she's usually the one you would speak to about this."

Jayson scoffed at the statement, "Agatha and I weren't really that close. She and I stopped speaking the night I signed the divorce papers."

The Knight lowered his eyebrows. "What? Why would you two stop speaking?" The Knight didn't need Jayson to give him the answer because he knew exactly what would've caused Agatha and Jayson's falling out.

He cleared his throat and continued, "nevertheless, as idiotic as it sounds, I'm all you've got right now. So, I need you to tell me why you think the Council wants you dead."

As much as Jayson hated to admit when someone was right, which was every time someone was right, Nathaniel deserved answers and the Witch couldn't keep that from him, not anymore.