Chapter Twenty-Eight

Ozai rose a brow as he heard the sounds of his door opening while he continued to primp himself.

"You seem to be in a good mood, Father." Azula remarked upon coming in the private room. He scowled a bit at the sound of his daughter's voice; his aggravation with her growing. Her confident swagger was brought to a halt as she watched Ozai button up his suit jacket again, his back to her, long hair flowing freely down his back as he cast a side-glance at her.

"Yes," he answered coldly, "it is most fortunate for you that I am in a good mood, Azula." Her smile dropped hearing a tone so familiar as her heart sank to her stomach. He only...he only speaks this way to Zuko. Not me. Never to me. Fearfully, she looked up at him as he turned to her, a condescending sneer so often directed at her older brother. Her heart pounded frantically as she struggled to keep her composure.

"F-Father?"

"You have disappointed me, Azula." He simply said. The young girl felt as though all the wind had been knocked out from her. "I thought I wouldn't have to come and cleanup your messes you made."

"Father, I--"

"Was I finished speaking, Azula!?" Instantly, Azula closed her mouth and looked down keeping her head to the floor. She knew well that it wasn't a question. "You let go of your reign on your friends and your brother." Azula's body shook as she stayed low, her father circling her around like a shark circling prey. Her breath was unsteady as she watched his feet from her narrow vision her breathing quickening once his feet were out of his vision. Silence now owned the area as he slowly moved to the front of her. Smirking, seeing fear thoroughly ruling her.
"However," his voice lightened, "your failure had brought me a new opportunity. One that Mai and her family's little political standing couldn't bring me. But that is not why I'm in a pleasant mood." Azula kept her mouth shut as she swallowed hard, her hands clutching the ground below her. She watched his feet leave her sight as she held her breath hoping he wasn't going to strike her from behind like he did so often to Zuko. Instead, she heard the squeak and cry of the old doors opening as footsteps were fading.

"Be sure not to disappoint me again, Azula. Failure and mediocrity is unbecoming of you." Azula let out a long ragged sigh as the door closed, allowing her to steady her breathing once again, as comforting silence surrounded her. A bitter tear fled from her eye, shakenly pulling herself up on her two feet. He had left her in a cloak of darkness, where she could only see the results of her own failure and the tatters of her ego.

~~

The rattling of the lockers blared into Zuko's ears as he blinked in shock, seeing a cold snarl on Sokka's lips after he was pinned roughly against the wall. His fists balled firmly into his shirt locking eyes with the slightly taller boy.

"I don't fucking like you."

"I'm well aware of that." He responded trying to keep his voice even. "So why did you corner me?"

"I want to know your intentions with my sister." Sokka growled out. "Why are you planning on doing with her?" Zuko peered over in the direction of where his locker was remembering the small seashell he had found for her as a gift.

"Um...well, today I was intending on taking her out for a date." Zuko answered with a small shrug. Sokka snarled, slamming him against the wall his eyes slightly widened at the strength of him.

"I swear to everything if you hurt my little sister..." Raising his hands up, Zuko shook his head.

"I don't want to hurt your sister. I mean it." He said, daring himself to look Sokka in the eyes. "I wouldn't forgive myself for hurting her." With a disgusted grunt, Sokka released Zuko crossing his arms.