Chapter Nine

Her heart sank as she let the note flutter to the ground. He's closer. He's dangerously close and now he's made it clear that he's tracking her movements. But for how long? She dared to ask herself. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she felt the blood racing through her head accompanied by thoughts and worse case scenarios. After all. their father isn't here to save them this time. There would be no safety net, no one to truly rely on should something go wrong. She realized then the gravity of her being all alone in this endeavor. With a small worried sigh, she closed the locker and went to pick up the note only to see a familiar pair of feet in her line of sight.

"Hey." She looked up at Zuko her body loosening up again. He softened his gaze a bit noting how her breathing steadied once more. "You look tense." She shook her head.

"I'm good." She lied. "What's up?" Raising an eyebrow in disbelief, he sighed handing her a piece of paper not willing to comment on the slight flinch that came from her.

"Oh, another place to meet up?" He shook his head.

"No, I got a weird note in my locker, but it says it was meant for you." Katara couldn't stop her eyes from widening alerting the brunette. "Whoa...um..."

"Did you see him?" She questioned frantically. Shocked, Zuko shook his head taking a step back. She snatched the note taking a deep breath before putting it in her pocket. Gold eyes followed her movements cautiously, his face twisting in confusion and concern.

"Uh...look I know it's none of my business and all, but are you being bullied or something?" It was his turn to ask. Katara dismissed it and ran her hand through her hair roughly.

"Doesn't matter!" She answered erratically, "Just...watch out okay?" As she turned to walk away from him, he grabbed her wrist firmly.

"Hey! It kind of does matter." He stated harshly. He kept his ground as she jerked in attempts to get away from him. With a small grunt he pulled her closer boring his eyes into hers. "I know we don't like each other, but if you're freaking out that much, it's obviously serious! Even you don't deserve to look like this." Instantly, her head snapped up at him, a newfound rage boiling within her.

"To look like what?!" She snapped, "A mess? A wreck? I think I have the right to look like how I want to look!" Zuko raised his hands in confusion growing more frustrated.

"What the hell are we even arguing about at this point?! You're obviously fucked up over something; excuse me for trying to help!"

"Maybe I don't need your kind of help!" She snapped making the boy scoff and narrow his own eyes at her.

"Oh what, because I'm this big bad evil man's son!?"

"No! Cause you're an asshole! Just...leave me alone!" She roared as she stormed off into her brother and Aang. Sokka snarled at the shaggy haired teen, nearly throwing his sister behind him.

"What'd you do to her?" Zuko's fist clenched as he watched the older brother step up to him.

"Nothing, I just handed her a weird note some person's been putting in my locker. I asked her what was wrong because she's been losing her shit these past few days and she snapped at me." He growled at him. "So, back off." Sokka's eyes widened in realization as he turned to his sister, his eyes narrowing in building rage.

"What have you been hiding from me?" Katara flinched at the sharpness in his voice.

"Nothing I--"

"Don't lie to me!" Instantly shut down, Katara looked at the tile floor.

"What the hell is going on?" Zuko asked. Sokka turned back the questioning boy, his face dark.

"Nothing that concerns you." He flatly answered. "If you get anymore notes like that just let me know. Otherwise, stay out of it." Sokka turned on his heel and snatched his sister pulling her away from the growing crowd ignoring his sister's protests. Watching the strange siblings leave, he noticed there was an abandoned note left where the three had departed. Picking up the note he looked over seeing they were out of sight before opening the paper. There was a strange marking on the top of the note.