Chapter Twenty-Seven

His mere presence baffled Ursa. It was almost like there was another man wearing her estranged husband's face, a man trying to right the wrongs committed by his past. She allowed him to touch her like the way he did before, unspoken lies traveling down her skin, lies that conveyed love and devotion as she allowed her skin to prickle, following behind his fingertips. Ursa didn't know what irked her more, the fact he still knew where to touch her, or the fact she still reacts the same way to it. Nevertheless, her face carried the same underlying hatred she held for him and she knew Ozai could see it too. The only love she held for anyone of that family were her children that this man held hostage from her. He comes by every chance he gets, still displaying his control over me. She reminded herself. Who's the real hostage here? She jumped as she felt someone grab her by the hair, seeing his lips kiss the strands so delicately as if he were laying his lips on something so fragile and pure. It disgusted her just as much as it confused her. Allowing herself to look at him, her eyes widened at the sudden look of desperation he had in his eyes as he watched her. Ursa quickly looked around the room noting there were no guards in her line of sight this time. This time she was truly alone with him. Or at least that's how he wanted to make it seem.

"No audience today?" She asked feeling his leering eyes on her. "You love performing in front of an audience." His hand never left her hair as he tightened his grip on it slightly.

"I wanted it to be just us today." He replied, his tone softer than she ever thought he had the capability of being. Still, she maintained her stoicism.

"So they're outside, then. Guarding you." It wasn't a question, it was a matter of fact statement and she enjoyed the confidence that she earned from watching him back off her. Any matter of distance was good. Slowly, she moved all her hair to one shoulder and combed through it with her fingers not wanting to look at him directly.
"So?" She asked her voice just as soft, yet, dripping with impatience. "What brings you here, Ozai?" He slowly strode his way behind her, taking it upon himself to claim her shoulder with his lips, kissing just as gingerly as he did the first night of their marriage. Ursa remembered that day well, foolish enough to believe that he could learn to love someone at least half as much as he loved himself. She shrugged him off holding her shoulder as if she had been struck. "What do you want from me!?" She questioned again, her anger rising in her voice. He didn't follow her like he did the other nights he came to see her. Instead, he watched her distance herself from him like a predator watching his prey.

"I want you to come home, Ursa." Her eyes widened as he heard the quiet hitch in her breath. "Isn't it time that this little game of yours ends?" His voice remained soft as he took one step forward watching her stare him down, her stance nearly unsteady. A small smile crawled on his lips as he slowly outstretched a hand towards her ignoring the way she flinched from his movement.
"I know you miss being with them. So why not take the chance to come home and see them again?" It was almost as if Ursa had forgotten how to breathe at that moment as she looked over at her husband, thoughts whirling in her head as she felt her heart flutter against her chest. Zuko...Azula...my darling children. She watched with horror as he brought himself closer to her, closing the wide gap she had made between them keeping her back to the wall. She looked up at the man towering over her, her hateful eyes now uncertain and questioning. He caressed her face slowly and tenderly as he looked deeply in her eyes.
"Come home, Ursa." He said again, his thumb rubbing her cheek.

"W-why?" She grew horrified with how weak her voice had gotten as he continued to hold her face lovingly.

"Because we need you. Those children need their mother. And I..." He stopped for a moment swallowing hard before licking his lips quickly. "I never realized how much I needed you by my side again. How lonely it is to sleep alone every night." His thumb brushed over her lip gently as she watched him dumbfounded. "This is foolish, Ursa. Come home to me. To them. See how much they've grown." Ursa struggled for words, she couldn't stop staring into his eyes as he watched her with admiration, lingering and little touches she craved for and begged for when they were together, scorching her skin now.