Chapter Eleven

Author's Note: I'm sorry for this taking 84 years. I've been...busy...very busy. I graduated, got a job, quit that damn job, got sick from that damn job, recovered, looked for a new job, got the job and then started working. It's been a wild ride. At any rate, here's this chapter and I'm now working on the next, since I'm gonna work on bringing more content out there. Thanks for being patient and for the kind words about my work thrown my way. It's helped more than you know.

_____

"Every time I see you, you always complain about something." Mai rolled her eyes at the hurt boy as he internally sighs.

"I can't help it, I'm in pain." Zuko retorted. "These things tend to happen when people are in pain."

"All I'm saying is I've seen you about everyday you've been in here and I've heard nothing but complaints."

"Its a hospital Mai, what do you exactly expect to happen here?" He asked. She looked away, her face deadpan, only hinting aggravation with her eyebrow. Zuko knew this conversation was over. It usually ended like this. Silence loomed over the two before she broke it with an exhausted sigh.

"Look, I guess...I'm just worried about you." She lamented softly. He slowly grabbed her hand and gave a pained smile. "I hate...this. I hate seeing you in here."

"I'm still here. I'm still kicking." She couldn't deny the soft smile on her face as she gripped his hand.

"Yeah, I know," she stated, "couldn't get rid of you if I tried." He chuckled softly, placing his hand against his chest.

"Ouch." she chuckled at his overreacting.

"But really Zuko, I'm glad you're okay." She began with a serious tone. "I don't know how that girl got you into it but when I find her--"

"Hey, she actually was the one who saved me, Mai. You gotta cut her some slack." Mai looked at the boy's stern face. "She didn't know her crazy ex was going to escape from Logai. Besides, she's been pretty torn up about it too." He looked down at his injured hands recalling the way she shrieked and pleaded with him.

~~

He was paler than usual in her arms, color lacking in his face and hands, further being washed out from the crimson that stained his fingers. Katara's eyes were wide with horror as she clutched his clothing. She scrambled a bit to reposition him, careful of his head almost supporting him like an infant.

"Come on, Zuko, talk to me. Tell me about something--anything!" She begged tapping his cheek watching his eyes lull a bit. "You gotta stay up. You can't sleep, not now." Zuko let out a groan, weakly looking up at her. His gold eyes still piercing into hers.

"I'm s'tired." He croaked out.

"I know." She nearly whimpered. "I know. You fought hard, but you can't sleep now. Not yet. Come on talk to me." Zuko gave a soft smile and a pained chuckle accompanied with a small cough, his hand reaching her cheek; thumb directly under her eye his bloody hand pushing her hair back.

"Your eyes..." She gave him a questioning look. Before she could even ask him what he meant, his eyes closed softly, his head resting comfortably on her body.

"Oh God no!" She choked out a hushed sob cradling his head. "Zuko you gotta stay with me! Please!"

~~

"Oh now you're defending her?"

"No," Zuko corrected her, "I'm just telling you the truth." A lengthy silence washed over them again, the awkwardness and the quiet storm of rage crashed against them both. No words were said; nothing had to be said. Frustrated, the girl got up.