Chapter Nineteen

Sokka paced at the door, biting his thumb as distressed grunts came from him every so often much to Katara's annoyance.

"Sokka, are you trying to make a trench at the front door?" He stopped for a moment and looked down at the hardwood as he overheard his grandmother mumbling about relief before letting out a soft sigh.

"Don't worry, I'm sure everything will be alright." A knock rapped at the door surprising both Kanna and Katara as Sokka lunged at the door nearly ripping it open. Suki blinked, wide and shocked blue eyes looking over her disheveled boyfriend.

"Um...sorry. June needed my help with this new member in the martial arts club." He calmed himself and shook his head, smiling at her, grasping her hand.

"What matters is you're here." He pulled her close and kissed her head lovingly.

"I'm here." She assured. Katara waved cheerily.

"I don't think you've ever met Gran-Gran, Suki." Suki shook her head and walked over to the elderly woman, a kind smile on her face.

"Nice to meet you ma'am. I'm Suki." Kanna eagerly grasped Suki's extended hand with a sweet smile.

"Likewise, my dear. Anyone willing to put up with this boy is worth meeting." Sokka dramatically gasped.

"Gran-Gran!" She chuckled as Suki fought to keep herself from laughing at the way his voice cracked.

"Such a troublemaker that one was, especially as a young boy." Katara snickered as Sokka's eyes widened in horror.

"Gran-Gran, no!"

"Gran-Gran, yes." Sokka shot a dangerous look towards his giggling younger sister. "Gran-Gran do you need me to get the photo album?" Sokka laughed nervously.

"N-no...no we don't need to do that." Kanna rose a mischievous eyebrow and smirked.

"Oh, but we do." Eagerly, Katara shot up and went to go fetch the albums making Suki laugh at her boyfriends exasperated noises.

"Oh, come now," she smiled. "I'm sure you were adorable."

"He was such a cute little boy." Kanna affirmed with a small chuckle. "So curious and inventive!" Sokka huffed a little, blush rising to his cheek.
"And he always got himself into situations too!" The grandmother laughed. "Oh, Kya found them so funny."

"Kya?" Suki questioned. A solemn silence filled the room as Katara inched back feeling the thickening tension.

"Kya was my wife." Heads shot towards the sound of Hakoda's voice as he sighed slowly closed the back door. Sokka's breath hitched as he felt his heart pounding in his chest. Suki's hand found a place over her heart, her face softening sadly.

"I'm sorry, sir, I had no idea you were a widower." Hakoda shook his head.

"It's in the past now." Clearing his throat awkwardly, Sokka stepped forward besides Suki, a nervous grin stretching over his face, his throat scorching and dry.

"Dad!" He exclaimed taking everyone aback including himself as he paused for a moment to steady himself.
"Dad, this is Suki, Suki this is my Dad." Katara took in a deep breath hearing the struggle to keep composure, her hands clasped together as she eyed the two of them. Hakoda and Suki stared at each other for a moment, the air around them once again growing tense as everyone waited with baited breath.

"Nice to see you again, I hope you didn't have any trouble on your way here." He said with an amused quirk of his eyebrow as he extended his hand. Suki chuckled eagerly shaking it, much to the other's confusion.