Chapter Twenty

What...the hell...did I do to deserve this? Zuko asked himself. Katara couldn't help but to scowl as Zuko lay his head on the table slowly, wanting to avoid attention. All I wanted to do was get to know her better. See where our feelings are taking us. He groaned. Aang's laughter rang through the building as Sokka chuckled seeing his spirits were more than lifted. It became painfully aware to both Zuko and Katara that building had a noticeable echo. You've got to be shitting me. Katara mentally growled keeping her face to the menu. Zuko's foot bounced under the table as he made sure to keep his face and scared side from being noticed as the two others were being seated.

"What are we going to do now?" Zuko gave Katara an unsure glance, his foot tapping at the floor faster. He shook his head.

"Maybe we can order and go quietly, just like how we got out of school?" He offered, his voice almost a whisper. More people had piled in the small quiet place, the sounds of general conversation starting to overlap and echo lightly. The two of them sighed knowing that their voices were going to be hidden a little more.

"That seems like the best option, my brother is here and for a goofball, he's got great attention to detail." Zuko sardonically chuckled.

"Oh, great." Katara dared herself to peek past her makeshift barrier of her menu, quickly scanning to see where her brother and Aang had been seated. Zuko froze, hearing Aang's laughter so close to him; he shifted his gaze back to Katara, seeing her eyes widen as she began to look past him.

"Zuko, they're like four places behind you. And they're closer to the door." Zuko took in a deep breath trying to calm his anxious heart.

"You know what? We didn't order food yet; let alone drinks. It's not like we had a reservation, let's just go." He stated. Katara nodded keeping her menu up.

"Whats the game plan?" As he was about to answer, they were shrouded by one of the staff.

"Hi are you ready to make your orders?" The man smiled softly, pen and notebook in hand, looking over them with eager eyes. Katara gave a worried look to Zuko before she peeked over her menu once more, watching the two intensely. Sokka at least has his back to us, so what I really have to worry about is Aang noticing me or Sokka getting up to use the bathroom. He doesn't have to pass us but when he comes back, we'd be directly in his line of sight. We need to move before either of those things happen. She coached herself.

"Uh, Miss?" The waiter questioned. "Sir?" The two of them snapped out of their thoughts startling him. Immediately the waiter's eyes gravitated towards Zuko's face, stepping back a little before looking away. "Eye—I guess you aren't ready yet I'll give you a few minutes."

"No wait—damnit." Zuko huffed, his hand extended out to nothing as the waiter quickly turned on his heel and left the two alone. Katara covered herself as she placed her head on the table as Zuko drummed at the surface in irritation.

"Wild idea, but you think we can just walk out?" Katara asked after a couple moments. The noise around them picked up as Katara steadied the menu so she could rest her head on her hands.

"You want to just walk out?!" Zuko had to stop himself from getting too loud even amongst the rising volume, lest he needed attention here. Katara nodded.

"If we just get up and walk with a purpose, no one will really pay attention to us. Just act like nothing is happening and we can make our escape." Zuko peered to the side of her menu.

"Are you sure about this?"

"Nope. But it's better than being sitting ducks here." She reasoned.