Chapter 28

Arjun's Pov

The forensic department was awfully quiet. When I reached there, I saw there was barely anyone. I guess it was just me and Dr. Nair. She was seated on her desk and was penning down something. I walked up to her desk and noticed the report she was making.

The report was on Raghu.

"So, I had other matters to tend to, and I had to reschedule those to come here so I hope you have got some interesting findings for me. And not some stupid shit to waste my time", I said in an authoritative tone.

"By 'matters', do you mean actual police work like working on the psychological report of the serial killer? Or getting inside someone's pants?", Dr. Nair replied nonchalantly, her eyes not leaving the paper as she continued writing her report.

That took me off guard. Clearing my throat I said, "Okay fine! You got me, now can you please give me the postmortem report? I want to get this over with as fast as possible, and have a goodnight sleep"

She looked up at me and removed her spectacles. "Well then Detective, since you are so eager to close this case, let me show you what I found out from our dead predator", she said as she got up from her seat.

Moving ahead of me, she led me to a room where the body was kept. There was a blue sheet on the body. It covered everything from his toes to his chest. His face was exposed though.

"So Detective, you said he slit his throat in front of you and died in an instant right?"

"Yes, that is exactly what happened"

"And that was how he used to kill his victims, a throat slit right?"

"Yes, what are you hinting at Dr.?", my lips twitched and my brows furrowed.

"Well, he would slash his victims' throat with a knife and he did the same to himself. That too the same way, cutting the same veins and in the same angle. However, when I examined a bit more...", she paused to look at me.

"What happened? What did you find?", I asked patiently but I was extremely impatient on the inside.

What is with the dramatic pauses?

Dr. Nair motioned me to come closer and pointed at Raghu's neck "the direction of the cut is different"

"What?", I asked in disbelief.

"Yes", she replied pulling out different photos of the previous victims. She showed me pictured of the slit necks and said "Look here, you see this area? This is where the knife first came in contact with the body. Thus the cut is deeper over here. It is on the left side of the neck. Then when you look at the right side you will see it tapers meaning the cut wasn't that deep there. Basically, the part where the knife left the body"

"So the direction of the slash was left to right, meaning the killer was right-handed", I deduced holding an imaginary knife in my right hand and slashing it over my throat. Yes, if you want to cut effectively the direction of the cut would be left to right.

"Yes, but if you look at Raghu's wound over. It is the other direction. The deeper wound is on the right side, meaning that is where the knife came in contact with the flesh first, then it went from right to left. Meaning Raghu was left-handed.

I tried to remember how Raghu killed himself. He definitely had the knife in his left hand. And he slashed his throat in the right to left direction.

"But that can just be a coincidence, right? I mean Raghu was a skilled hunter. It is possible for him to skilled with both hands when using a knife", I asked rubbing the base of my chin and comparing the wounds on the pictures with Raghu's wounds.

"I thought so too, but look here", she motioned me towards Raghu's right side and removed part of the cover to show me his right arm. "See his wrist, there are band marks here. The marks you get for wearing the watch and being in sunlight continuously. When you get tanned skin but that little part under your watch gets saved and is relatively lighter in shade. This showed Raghu often wore his watch. And he wore it in his right hand, meaning he was left-handed."

Indeed there were faint band marks, I could even make out the place where the circular dial used to be placed.

"Now, as you suggested. There could be a possibility that Raghu was skilled with knives in both hands. He was technically a left handed person but for killing, he would use his right hand. What do you think?", Dr. Nair placed the arm under the cover and looked intently at me.

"No. Not possible.", I said. Few words kept repeating themselves again and again at the back of my head. It was as if my sub-conscience mind was trying to tell me something. An important detail. I closed my eyes shut and gripped the edge of the table. Trying to remember those specific words.

"Detective are you all right?", Dr. Nair asked in a concerned tone. I ignored and played this morning's event. From the chase to Raghu's death. When finally those words hit me like a bullet. I remembered and could hear Raghu's words loud and clear:

That is what I have learnt and that is what I will teach!

A/N:

So, I won't be updating for the next two weeks. I have midsem exams starting in two days! So ya! But i will definitely be reading your comments so ya vote and comment!