Chapter 11

Patricia's Pov

I really couldn't believe I just said that. But then again keeping our differences aside, I really shouldn't back out from doing something generous and kind.

Neethu cooked a quick dinner for the detective which he gobbled up in minutes. God knows since when he had been working. Looks like he didn't even get time to have lunch. Or maybe he voluntarily skipped it because of work? That meant he was dedicated to his work. He loved doing it and so he excelled in it. No wonder he had such an impressive success rate that too at such a young age.

After his dinner was over Vinesh escorted the detective to his room which Neethu had kept ready. He offered him a set of spare pajamas and showed him the entire room.

After the room tour of our guest was over. Neethu and Vinesh bid goodbye and left the cottage to go home which was a small house few minutes away from our mansion. Before leaving Neethu hugged me and whispered "lock the door, Ma'am, before you go to bed".

"Don't I always do that?"I chuckled. Why did she have to babysit me all the time? I was a twenty-five-year-old woman after all.

"Not the main door. I meant the door of your bedroom. He may have a noble job of catching criminals and keeping society safe but he still is a stranger. I don't trust him. Neither should you."

Right. How could I be so innocent? I have given him shelter out of kindness. But I still should be cautious around him. Thank god Neethu baby-sits me. What would I do without her?

"Yes, of course, I have that in mind", I replied, and then she left with her husband by her side.

Closing the door, I bolted it shut properly. Then I strolled around the house checking whether all the windows were closed or not. These were dangerous times we were living in. With a maniacal killer on the loose, I had to make sure, I do everything on my part to stay out of his/her way.

Oh, how badly I wish to leave this place and go back home. I will be safe there with my dear Ruchika by my side. Maybe that's what I should do. Yup! I will leave this place soon. I won't leave immediately because then it would look like I am running away and leaving all of these people to fend for themselves which will put me in a negative light. No, but I will remain for a few days maximum of two or three. And then make it look like I have important work back home so my holidays come to an end and I have to leave immediately.

"Yes! Perfect plan!", I smiled.

Soon enough all the rooms were checked. Except one. The guest room.

I gently knocked on the door and waited for him to open the door. But there was no response so I opened it anyway. Looking around the room I noticed how everything was neatly kept and only the bed lamp was lit but the detective was nowhere to be seen.

There was a faint noise coming from the bathroom. It was the noise of a running shower. Looked like he was taking a bath. Personally, I avoid night baths because the weather here is too cold and I fear I might catch a cold. But then again, if you are a person who spent the whole day between police officers and dead bodies, maybe a warm bath is actually pretty refreshing.

Well looked like it was a good thing he was inside. I could do my work and avoid him at the same time. Swiftly I moved through the room and checked the locks on all the windows. They were all bolted properly.

When I was about to leave, I saw a shiny metallic object placed on the shelf next to the bed. Looking closely, I realised it was his revolver and it was not in its holster.

It was just there. I just stood there staring at it. Like I only saw guns in movies, but here? This was a real gun. That was so cool!

Poke it. Just one small poke. My inner voice suggested to me. And I did as I was told. With a trembling index finger, I gave it a slight poke. The weapon moved a centimeter thanks to the force offered by my finger. My eyes glimmered like that of a five-year-old as I kept staring at it.

I. Touched. A. Real. Gun.

I had to inform Ruchika about this. She would be so jealous. I smiled cheekily as I imagined her face. I was so busy in my dream world, I didn't realise the shower had stopped and the bathroom door had opened.

"Civilians, they are so stupid", said a voice from behind.

Oops. I am dead.

I hesitantly turned around and looked at the detective. The man had his hands folded across his chest and was leaning on the door. The white towel hung loosely on his shoulders and his hair was still wet. The front few strands stuck to his forehead and covered his eyes a bit. Droplets of water were visible on the sides of his neck, face, and arms. Thanks to the moonlight and the relatively dark room those droplets looked like tiny crystals attached to his body making him look like some handsome prince you could only find in fairy tales.

"And your ex looked like a fried potato when he would walk out of the shower", my conscience retorted.

"The first time you saw a gun?", he asked inching closer.

"Mhm", I replied inching backward. My eyes were still on his figure. His hands fell to his side as he came closer. The white shirt he wore hugged him beautifully. For every forward step he took, I responded by taking one step backward.

Ideally, I should have just fled out of the room but let's face it. I was like a deer caught in headlights. Can't move, doesn't know what to do except look ahead.

"Liked what you saw?", he asked now only a few centimeters away from me.

"Mhm"

"Mhm for what? Me or the gun?", he cooed standing so close I could feel his warmth.

I broke out of my trance instantly and noticed where I was. With my back against the door facing him as he stood there looking down at me with each of his arms placed on the door, at a respectable distance from the sides of my waist.

This guy was smooth

"Me or the gun, Patricia?", he asked again. That was the first time he called me by my first name.

"The gun you idiot", I sneered, trying to act tough. Because in reality, I was in a daze. The after shower scent he had, the burning intense gaze he gave, the closeness between our bodies was intimidating me. But I will not show it. He loves teasing but I will not give him that kind of satisfaction.

He leaned in closer and chuckled "You are a bad Liar"

"Detective Malho-"

"Arjun. Call me by my name, I am off duty sweetheart", he flirted.

"Stay away from me," I said through gritted teeth "or else-"

"Or else what? You will call the police?"

"Ye-Yes"

"Darling, I am the police"

That last sentence made my stomach hollow and my heart flutter. Before I could totally lose myself to him, I mustered up all the courage I had in me and firmly pushed him back by placing my palms on his chest. That action did close to nothing as he barely moved.

So I used a bit more force and pushed him harder. This time he did move back a bit.

"Oh, yes the mighty Detective Malhotra. Sorry Arjun", I said in a sarcastic voice. "I gave you a night to stay here because I am a kind person by nature, now if you think I will give in to your charms, you are utterly wrong. Annoy me again and I promise you, I will kick you out of this house. You will sleep outside and flirt with that serial killer you are so fond of!", I huffed all of it out in one single breath.

"Ooo ok!", he said cheekily as he stepped back. "Goodnight then"

Without responding, I opened the door and stomped out of the room.

Neethu was right. Lock the door. But no, not just lock the door, block the door with a chair, keep pepper spray below your pillow and a cricket bat by your side. If he still manages to come in, beat him up so badly, that infamous serial killer starts taking notes from you. 

A/N:

So hi! I am back! now that my exams are over, I have enough time to update regularly. So ya, I will be giving new updates every 3 days. Do read and don't forget to vote and comment!