Valentine Perfection

"This should not be so hard."

Poppy frowned, crumpling up another piece of felt and tossing it behind her. Instead of hearing the soft sound it makes upon hitting the floor, she only heard silence. She blinked.

"Can I be of any assistance?" A familiar voice in a fake formal tone asked behind her. Poppy's eyes widened as she dumped everything in her hair and slapped on a fake smile, turning around.

"Nope!I'm good!Thanks!How are ya?" Poppy scrambled to act casual, thought it really didn't seem that way.

"I'm fine, but you seem a little...frazzled," Branch remarked, running a hand through his hair. "Are you stressed again?"

"...No, not exactly," Poppy said truthfully. She really wasn't stressed, more annoyed she couldn't think of something special to give the troll who really changed her.

"Then what is it?" Branch asked. He reached over and took her left hand. "C'mon, you can tell me," he smiled so sweetly, Poppy almost gave in.

"I- um It's j-just scrapbook block," Poppy lied, pulling away. This gift better be worth the look Branch was giving her right now, concern and confusion. Poppy felt a pang of guilt, but shook it off. This was for him after all! "I- it works better if I'm alone actually," Poppy forced the words out. Wasn't she basically telling Branch to leave?

"That's fine, I understand," Branch said, exiting. He cast a shy smile to Poppy before leaving the pod. Poppy slumped down on her bed, letting out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding.

"Who can I ask about perfect gifts?"

At Smidge's pod...

KNOCK KNOCK

"Hey Smidge? You here?" Poppy called, opening the door. "Do you have any Valentine gift ideas?"

"Oh hey Poppy!" Smidge waved. She was lifting weights, as usual. "I've got my gift for Milton all ready!"

"That's great!" Poppy gave her a thumbs-up. "I need ideas for a gift to Branch, and you can't tell him, ok?"

"Why don't you play with your strengths?" Suggested Smidge, lifting two weights at the same time.

Poppy knew Smidge really meant weight-lifting, but maybe she had a point there. Poppy was good at scrapbooking, but what else? Suddenly, she snapped her fingers. "I've got it! Thanks Smidge!"

"Anytime Poppy!" Smidge watched as Poppy ran out of her pod.

-~*~-

Branch tightly pulled a bow on the stems of the red poppies he held. He wanted them to look as pretty as possible. "Ok, just relax, it's for Poppy," he reassured himself. He wanted to make this a great day for Poppy by taking her for a little walk in the forest. A date, you could call it.

He had it all planned in his mind, and he couldn't wait to spend it with her!

-~*~-

"Okay, so cupcakes, brownies, chocolate, berries, cotton candy, gumdrops, anddddd what else?" Poppy asked herself. An array of desserts were lying in front of her as she frosted the last cupcake. She had decided to plan a little picnic just for the two of them, and she'd give Branch a scrapbook of all the great times they'd shared.

She had it all planned in her mind, and she couldn't wait to show him!

Later...

Poppy smoothed out the blue blanket of the soft grass. She was wearing a heart-themed Valentine's dress for the occasion. The picnic would look great to an untrained eye, but this was Poppy. She was kinda a perfectionist.