Chapter Six

Curled up on the couch with her best friend at her side and a bowl of freshly popped popcorn between them, Yachi began to search through her Netflix account and make suggestions for what they should watch tonight. After having the first four shot down because Idoki had already seen them with Akaashi and Bokuto over the past few weeks, Yachi finally found the nerve to bring up something she was quite curious about.

"You seem to be really close with them now." Yachi tried her best to sound nonchalant as she continued to scroll through their options, but not really bothering to take note of the images on the screen while she awaited her friend's reply.

"I guess so," Idoki hummed, tossing a piece of popcorn into her mouth. "They're super nice."

Yachi glanced over at her. "Even Fujiwara-san?"

"I wish I could say that about her too, but she's just..." Sighing, Idoki shook her head. "How she is...around us at least."

Yachi's eyebrows furrowed slightly. "I don't understand what he sees in her."

Idoki's bottom lip found its way between her teeth as she contemplated that same notion that had played in her mind for weeks. After going for dinner on his birthday, Idoki had been trying so hard to keep herself from growing attached, but at every turn, she failed miserably.

Bokuto and Akaashi were making such an effort to include her in their plans and she was so grateful to have more friends, but whenever she was around Bokuto her stomach fluttered and her heart raced. He was so sweet and kind; he never failed to make her laugh. They got along so effortlessly well that it made every moment with him one she wanted to remember – even after the bubble around her would pop and reality came crashing down.

Sure, Idoki was a positive person, but she wasn't a complete idiot. Bokuto was with Fujiwara, and even if she had the personality of a turd covered in burnt hair, she was still the most attractive woman Idoki had ever seen, and Idoki was well...not that. She didn't think that Bokuto was with the woman solely for her looks, it was clear that he cared about Fujiwara and saw something worthwhile in her. Why and what that was she had no idea, but he did, and she had to respect that because she cared about him as well. If Fujiwara made him happy who was she to judge?

"She's very beautiful." Idoki's voice came out quieter than she anticipated, her self-consciousness made obvious by her tone. She cleared her throat as she continued. "He sees the best in people, so there must be a side to her that we just don't know."

"I hope you're right," Yachi hummed. "It sucks to think that she would be so sour all the time."

"It's Bokuto-san," Idoki's lips curled into a small smile just saying his name aloud. "He's the kind of person who can make anyone feel special, so I doubt that's different for Fujiwara-san. I'm sure she's much different when it's just them. Who could stay grumpy around someone like him? His smile is infectious."

Yachi peered over at her friend, a grin sneaking up her lips as she began to piece things together. "Oki-chan, do you have a c-"

"A cushion to spare for you?" Idoki quickly turned to hide her blush, realizing the weight of her words. She grabbed a throw pillow from behind her and held it out to her friend. "Here you go, Yacchan! Be sure to get comfy. Oh look, that movie you're paused on should be good. Let's watch that one!"

"Oki-chaaan," Yachi sang taking the pillow from Idoki and placing it on her lap. "It's okay, you know. Bokuto-san is really nice. I can understand why you might have a crush on him."

The thought of someone else knowing her feelings embarrassed Idoki. She felt guilty for harbouring them when she knew he was unavailable. Of course she'd never tell him or act upon them, she truly enjoyed being around Bokuto and she refused to let some fleeting feelings ruin their friendship. "It's not worth talking about, Yacchan. It'll pass."