Chapter Twenty Five

With anxiety replacing the blood flowing through her veins as it often did in times of stress, Yachi paced their apartment in circles. She had been trying for days to figure out the best way to tell Idoki that Hinata had asked her to move in with him and that she wanted to accept; now that the redhead was finally home, Yachi knew she had to say something.

Guilt weighed heavy on her shoulders as she considered the fact that she had invited Idoki to live with her and only a few months later, she was already looking to change their living situation. While she didn't think her friend would be outwardly upset with her – that just wasn't Idoki's style – she did worry that she might feel abandoned by her. She worried that her friend might question their friendship as a whole and, god forbid, no longer want to be friends at all. Idoki truly was Yachi's best friend and even the idea of that no longer being the case was more painful to her than the sting of a thousand bees.

Her worries furthered as she thought about what Idoki would do without her as a roommate. Unless she found someone else to share the apartment with her, Yachi didn't think she'd be able to continue staying in the suite they currently occupied and it might be hard for her to afford an apartment in a decent area by herself. Was she dooming her friend to live somewhere that was unsafe? Was she jeopardizing their friendship by furthering her relationship with Hinata? Was sh-

The door to Idoki's room creaked open and the redhead rubbed at her tired eyes, pausing in place as she heard Yachi muttering something to herself. "You okay, Yacchan?"

"Who? Me?" Yachi laughed a bit too loudly in her nervous state, a giant plastic smile spreading across her cheeks. "I'm okay! Great! Nothing's wrong and everything is definitely okay!"

Deflecting – typical Yachi. Shuffling closer to her friend, Idoki's raised eyebrow sought to confirm her suspicions. "Really? Cause that sounds like something you'd say if nothing was okay and everything was definitely wrong."

"No, no!" Yachi waved her hands in front of her chest wildly. "I-it's all good. Well, mostly all good. Okay, maybe some of it is bad and you might hate me and never want to be my friend again. But it will probably be okay I think? Maybe..."

Idoki smiled at her friend as she shook her head knowingly. "I'll always want to be your friend, Yacchan. I'm gonna make some coffee and then why don't you tell me what's going on, hmm?"

"I-I already made a pot. Do you want some? I can make it for you. You like cream and one teaspoon of sugar, right?" Yachi scurried over to the coffee maker that was on the counter near the refrigerator before Idoki even had a chance to reply.

"Um yeah. Okay, thank you," Idoki scratched her cheek while she watched her friend busy herself, fighting off her own worries by remembering that everyone was healthy and okay; whatever Yachi had to say couldn't be that bad, right? She was probably just overthinking as per usual.

Idoki was seated at their small kitchen table when a pink mug with a small cat paw print was placed in front of her, the glorious scent of her favourite dark roast coffee overwhelmed her and she immediately cupped the warm mug between her hands and took a sip. Yachi sat across from her with a sunshine yellow mug of her own, staring down at the steaming liquid as she tried to work up the nerve to tell her friend her news.

"Hey, Yacchan?" Idoki called out, reaching a hand to cover her friend's with a reassuring smile. "Whatever's going on, you can talk to me about it. It'll be okay."

"You're being too nice to me," Yachi sighed. "You probably won't say that if you knew..."

"I'm not being too nice, I'm being just nice enough," Idoki hummed. "And I'd be nice to you no matter what. Even if you were about to tell me you're moving to America or something."