Chapter Twelve

Bokuto couldn't help wanting to see how the date between his two best friends was going, but after a few texts to both of their phones with no reply, his curiosity had to be satiated in another way. If he was being honest with himself, he was beginning to hope it wasn't going as perfectly as he originally planned. However, Bokuto wasn't being honest with himself, he pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind and instead sought to find something to occupy his mind. If that something just so happened to take place at the same restaurant as their date, then so be it.

Dressed in all black with a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses and a baseball cap, Bokuto slunk into a booth across from Akaashi and Idoki, settling himself in for a long haul and ordered dinner as well. It wasn't until Akaashi had reached out to hold her hand that he began to feel his chest tighten, and when Idoki's eyes seemed to focus on that and her cheeks flushed in the sweetest way, that tightening began to feel more overwhelming. With every blush and each shy tilt of her head, Bokuto couldn't help but frown. He wanted to go over and slip into the booth beside her, he wanted to be the one to make her flustered, to hear her laugh, and to soak up her smiles.

Bokuto wanted to be the one to make her happy.

Idoki laughed a little too loudly at something Akaashi had said and Bokuto had nearly stomped over there, but managed to control himself by chugging back the rest of his water. Unfortunately for him, his annoyance led to him putting the glass of water down with just a bit too much force, gaining Akaashi's attention from a few tables away.

Akaashi sighed at the sight of him, and Idoki followed his line of vision to see what had elicited such a reaction from him just to tilt her head to the side. "I-is that Bokuto-san?"

"Don't spoil his fun by looking. Clearly he's trying to be inconspicuous," Akaashi instructed.

"The sunglasses indoors just make him look more suspicious." Idoki gave her head a little shake as she tittered. "But why spy? He could just wait until after to hear from one of us if he was curious."

"I think he's more...invested than you realize, Idoki-san," Akaashi mused.

"Oh...like because of the flowers?"

Not wanting to offend Idoki even though she'd already admitted to having feelings for their mutual friend, Akaashi first needed confirmation of something. "Bokuto convinced you to accept my offer, correct?"

Idoki hesitantly nodded. "Yeah...he wouldn't take no for an answer. You're a great friend, so I figured it couldn't hurt to go on a date and see if things clicked..."

"Don't worry, he did the same thing to me." Akaashi propped up his elbow beside his plate and rested his chin in his palm as he offered her a kind smile. "This was all him, it wasn't just the flowers. He planned everything for tonight because he wanted it to be perfect for you."

Idoki looked down at her bowl with a defeated expression on her face, a sinking feeling weighing down her stomach. "He really wants us to work out, huh?"

"I have a feeling that's what he thought he wanted, but I don't think that's why he's here now," Akaashi mused. "Want to mess with him a little?"

"Mess with him?" She glanced up from her plate to look at him with slight confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I've been friends with Bokuto-san for nearly a decade, so I'd say I know him better than most," Akaashi hummed. "And I'm certain he's here because he's jealous. So why don't we give him something to be jealous about, hmm?"

With furrowed brows, Idoki replied, "I'm not so sure you're right about that, Akaashi-san."

With a sigh, Akaashi leaned forward and flicked her forehead. "Have you even listened to anything I just said? Idoki-san, he planned this all for you. Not for us. You love this restaurant. You have been talking about wanting to check out that festival just outside of town as soon as you found out about it. He went out of his way to find out your favourite flowers and bought them for you himself when he could've just told me." Akaashi let out a breathy laugh as he noticed the blush blooming across her cheeks. "You're just as hopeless as he is, aren't you?"