Chapter Seven

With a small basket in hand, Idoki walked through the supermarket to pick up a few things for her Thanksgiving supper the next day – the first one she'd be spending alone. Yachi was invited to Hinata's family dinner this year, and although Hinata had extended the offer to her as well, she didn't want to intrude on their family time or make Yachi feel like she had to watch over her the entire evening.

After Idoki's mother passed away, holidays just never felt the same, and seeing as it was several hours on a train to her hometown and several hours back while she still worked the next day, the little time she'd be able to spend at home would have hardly been quality time. The Idoki's decided that they'd have a celebration in lieu on another day when she could afford to take a few days off work to visit properly.

However, that didn't make it any easier on Ichigo.

She tried to find a positive in it, just as she did everything else, but this time was different. Her heart ached because this time she knew she was going to feel homesick, that all her friends would be busy spending time with their families, and that she was going to be completely alone.

Though any time holidays neared Idoki found herself thinking of her mom more often, being away from home seemed to have intensified those thoughts. Of course she wanted to remember her, and they were always fond memories, but she'd be lying if she said they didn't make her sad. She tried so hard to find the good in everything, to be happy and put a smile on, but today she struggled to keep her thoughts positive. Knowing that tomorrow was going to be an even harder day only cast a grey cloud above her head and slipped her into a fog of depression.

After selecting some fresh vegetables, a cut of fish, and a small packet of chocolate-covered almonds, Idoki checked out and returned to the used bicycle she'd recently purchased from a neighbour, only to find that the tire was flat.

Of course this would happen today...

Her shoulders slumped in defeat and she sighed, placing her grocery bag on the left handlebar as she began to guide it out of the bike rack to walk it home.

Having needed to pick up a few items requested by one of his sisters for their family dinner, Bokuto just so happened to have been at the same grocery store and walking out when he noticed a familiar head of frizzy red hair and a pair of old overalls walking away. "Doki-chan?"

When the confused female glanced over her shoulder, there was something different about the look in her eyes that made Bokuto's chest ache. They'd only known each other for a little under two months, but they'd spent enough time together for him to know something wasn't right.

"Oh." Idoki stopped walking and turned her bike around so she could face Bokuto without it falling over, knowing the kickstand was shotty at best. "Hey, Bokuto-san."

The smile that hadn't reached her eyes rose another red flag to him and when he glanced at her bike and saw the flat tire, he breathed out in relief, concluding that this was the reason for her current disposition and something he could definitely help with. He pointed to his car in the parking lot and smiled. "I have a tire pump in my trunk. Could I fix your bike for you?"

"I don't want to be a bother, I'm sure you have somewhere to be." Idoki rubbed the back of her neck as she looked down the sidewalk, not wanting to concern him with her problems. "Thanks, though."

"You're the last person who could ever be a bother, Doki-chan," he smiled reassuringly as he closed the distance between them and took hold of her handlebars. "Come on, it's not far. I'll get you on your way in no time, I promise!"

Knowing he wasn't going to accept no for an answer, she released the bike into his possession and walked with him to his car.

After popping his groceries into the backseat, he lifted the trunk and pulled out a small air compressor before crouching down in front of her tire. Unscrewing the valve cap, Bokuto connected the air hose and turned on the device, a hum whirring it to life before he patted it and looked up at Idoki with a smile. "I bought this bad boy for emergencies and I haven't had to use it yet. I'm glad it came in handy for once."