Chapter Twenty Two

Satoshi was comfortably settled in on the couch in his living room while Bokuto sat in the old crimson armchair perpendicular to him, watching as Ichigo fussed over every little thing for him now that he was home from the hospital. Finally letting out a frustrated huff as she attempted to fluff his pillows for the third time, the father swatted away her hands. "Ichigo, I'm fine."

"I just want you to be comfortable," she mumbled, rubbing the back of her neck uncomfortably. "Sorry."

Leaning forward, Bokuto reached for her free hand and swiftly tugged her into his lap, a quiet squeak leaving her lips as he did so. "Please sit with me for a bit?"

"There's so much to do, Bo. I just ha-"

Idoki's phone began to ring and Bokuto tugged it out of the pocket it was peeking out of, a smile growing across his lips as he saw Yachi's picture pop up. "You should take it. You've barely been texting her back, she's probably really worried about you and Idoki-san."

Snuggling into Bokuto's embrace, Idoki answered the call. He was right; she hadn't been very responsive and Yachi had reached out a few times now, the least she could do was take her call. "Hey, Yacchan, how are you?"

"How am I? How are you? How's Tou-san? Is he home yet? Are you getting any sleep? I know how you get when you're worried."

The speed of Yachi's concerned words prompted a pang of guilt in her chest. "I'm sorry I haven't called to give you an update, Yacchan. I should have, I know you worry about him," Idoki pulled her legs up to dangle over the armrest of the chair as she continued. "Tou-san's settling in at home today. The doctor and nurses agreed that he would make a full recovery and be back to his normal self in a handful of weeks so long as he follows their instructions."

"Tell him I say hi and that I love him, please," Yachi sighed.

Not bothering to take the phone away from her ear, Idoki merely shifted it slightly as she raised her voice a little. "Hey Tou-san, Yacchan says hi and that she loves you."

Bokuto chuckled warmly before he picked up a piece of fiery hair and twirled it slowly around his fingers as she laughed softly at her father's response.

"Love you too, Goldilocks. You better be taking care of yourself, I hear you work a lot of overtime."

"Did you hear that?" Idoki giggled into the phone and Yachi laughed.

"I did. Tell him that my best friend and my boyfriend take good care of me."

"She says me and Sho-chan take good care of her."

Satoshi rolled his eyes. "You can't always rely on other people, Blondie."

"I know, I know."

"She sighed dramatically and said she knows."

"You didn't have to tell him that part, Oki-chan!" Yachi huffed with a laugh. "Sheesh, now he's gonna think I'm being childish."

"But you are being a little childish, Yacchan."

"He doesn't need to know that," Yachi mumbled defeatedly before almost immediately perking up. "And how about you? Sho said Bokuto-san is with you – that must be niiiiice," she mused teasingly.

"It is," Idoki hummed, a blush beginning to decorate her cheeks as she tilted her head to rest against Bokuto's chest and his hand instantly found its way into her hair, beginning to brush it affectionately.

"I'm surprised you let him come with you," Yachi leaned back in her desk chair and placed her phone between her shoulder and her ear while her fingers fiddled with the clicker of a pen. "You've gotten a lot closer lately. Think you're ready to move forward?"