Chapter 6

(TW: AB*SE MENTION, PANIC ATTACK)

Eli had made his mind up. Maybe he could go and see Aesop in his room, if he was there at least. The Seer needed that comforting sense of security he shared with the peculiar embalmer. Hopefully he wouldn't be busy, he never really was, he would read most of the time or re-organise his make-up box.

____________________________________

The silver-haired embalmer was in his room, what one might call an uneasy state, he was leaning over his desk and breathing heavily. He woke up from what he could call one of the worst night terrors he had had since coming to the manor. The memories of Jerry came rushing in. The memories of Aesop being mercilessly beat by his late mentor were engraved in his memory. The memories of being beat so hard he had bruises and scars still visible to this day, and times where he couldn't move for solid hours after. It wasn't like he could forget that shit in a single day or two.

Aesop tried to forget it. Of course he couldn't, he still had flashbacks at times, or nightmares, and stuff along those lines.

Only Emily knew of it, she discovered the scars whilst healing him after an intense match of 2v8 with Joker and Hastur. After examining the pale marks and permanent bruises, he told her the story of it and the stuff he did to him and made him do. The doctor was quite a bit of help, she helped him get through the worst of it. He appreciated her for that, not only was she understanding but she was also there for him.

___________________________________

Going up to the door, he took a deep breath. The candles were the only thing illuminating the dark hall, the light orange flame dancing as it cast light throughout the dark room. The Seer raised his hand to the door, preparing to knock. He heard someone, someone...crying. Someone he presumed to be the embalmer.

**KNOCK KNOCK**

The seer finally knocked on the door, apparently the embalmer hadn't even heard him coming in the first place. After a minute or two Eli saw the door knob turn, Aesop must have been expecting somebody else since as soona s he made eye contact with Eli he turned away, wiped his eyes and asked in a shaky voice,"Hey..what's up? isn't it like 1 AM?-"

"Sorry to interrupt but are you okay? You look like you've been crying..." Eli asked with worry lacing his voice.

Aesop thought about his response, should he lie or just tell him? It's not like Eli would tell anyone, he wasn't that type of person...and he did trust him after all...

"D-do you want to come in..." Aesop stood aside as he opened the door wider.

The room was cold, the window was wide open and the crispy winter air filled the atmosphere. The embalmer's bed was messy, he probably woke up from a nightmare of some sorts and opened a window for fresh air.

The idea of having the one person he loved more than the world in his room at 1 in the morning, seeing him in such a weak, pathetic state, made him burst into tears.

Eli walked over to Aesop hurridly and tightly embraced him, resting the younger man's head on his shoulder, muffling his sobs.

Aesop accepted the hug, and held onto him as if he would leave. He cried so hard, so hard he would choke on his sobs, he could hardly breath and was hyper-venilating.

Eli held him close and listened to his crying. He stroked his hair and comforted him as he tried to tell him what's going on.

"I h-ha-had a n-night-m-mare..." The embalmer sobbed. He didn't care if anybody heard him or what Eli would think of him for breaking down by this point,"I-it w-was s-s-so b-bad..." His shaky voice trailed off into more sobs.

"I'm so sorry for you... do you want to tell me or-" The seer comforted the younger man.

"No," Aesop cut him off with the clearest voice he could muster up in his current state.

Eli smiled a sad smile, not his usual cheery self,"Do you want to go back to sleep or should I go..." Eli asked in a hushed voice.

"I-I might get a g-glass or water" He said as he lifted himself up from the position he and Eli were in, now sitting on the bed.

"How about I get it for you?" Eli asked nicely.

He let go of Aesop and he sat back down, leaning against a pillow.

"When you come back can you stay with me?" Aesop asked as he wiped the tears from his eyes. His face was sticky from the tears he let loose.

Hopefully Eli wouldn't mention this in the future to come.

_____________________________

The kitchen was much colder than the bedrooms, the window was left slightly open after all.

After getting the glass of water for Aesop, Eli made his way back upstairs through the now pitch dark empty halls.

Opening the door to Aesop's room, Eli saw he was slumped down on the far side of the bed, he had his eyes shut.

Eli had a small smile on his face without even realising it.

Putting the glass on the desk near the bed, Eli whispered,"I'll put your glass of water here, alright?"

To his surprise Aesop answered "Yeah, sure that's fine..." before he closed his eyes again. He was more calm and collected now, so Eli shot his shot.

"Do...do you mind if I stay the night in your room again? In case you have a nightmare?"

While that was his main reason there was another, he craved the warmth and comfort he had with the embalmer. The feeling that everything would be fine and nothing could go wrong. The feeling of pure happiness even in such a dark, grim and morbid place where every day felt like a life and death battle, even though death wasn't possible.

"Wha? Oh..yeah of course you can.." Aesop said as he scooted aside to make room for Eli on the bed.

In the dark, Eli didn't even notice Aesop took his usual grey medical mask off. The seer took his blindfold off as well and put it aside on the desk.

It wasn't like either of them could see eachother in the pitch darkness. They were both asleep or about to fall asleep either way, so nothing made a difference.

The second time they both fell asleep in Aesop's room, and definitely not the last.