13: Adventures in Liyue (III) - Xiangling

heyy sorry for not updating in a while.

this is the last chapter of the liyue one-shot series, then back to the original plot we go!

thats all for now lol, enjoy!

...

"Xiangling's birthday?"

Y/N was retouching and enhancing her new polearm - or rather, she was waiting by the blacksmith's parlor as Master Zhang worked on it himself - when Aether, accompanied by Xingqiu and Chongyun, approached her to discuss an arangement they had in mind.

"Mmhm! It's tomorrow! Paimon's so excited!", Aether's travel partner squealed. "Xiangling always prepare a big, delicious meal for us! Mmmm... just thinking about it makes Paimon drool!"

Y/N caught Aether staring back at the pixie with his lips sealed together, unimpressed. Paimon must've really taken advantage of the situation that day.

"Ah...but that's the problem.", Xingqiu interrupted with his eyebrows narrowed. "Even on her birthday, she always insists on treating us instead of letting herself be treated. It's quite irritating, might I add."

Chongyun nodded in agreement, "Yup, we tried to take her out to this fancy restaurant once, but she somehow canceled the reservation and cooked up a feast for us instead."

Sheesh. Talk about dedication. It was clear that Xiangling was dead set on doing kitchen labour for her friends, even on her birthday.

"That's why we're doing something different this year.", Aether smiled. "We're keeping it a secret. We'll let her think that she'll get to do all the work, but we're going to be the ones organizing this year's party."

Y/N's eyes lit up. A surprise party, huh? How exciting!

"Count me in.", she boasted. "What do you need me to do?"

Aether beamed at the traveler's willingness to help, "We need you to distract her for the day while we prepare. Offer to help gather ingredients, or something along those lines. It's going to be quite hard...considering you'll need to hold her off 'till sundown."

Y/N shook her head and waved off the blonde's concerned. "Oh, that won't be an issue. I'm sure I'll keep her out of the restaurant somehow.", she said. "Are you sure you won't need my help in the kitchen? There aren't many people helping, right?"

Paimon gave Aether a knowing look as the blonde laughed awkwardly with a hand on his head. Xingqiu and Chongyun stood spectating in confusion, giving each other a shrug as if to say 'what's up with him?'.

"Oh, haha...well it's only us three on cooking duty, but Xinyan's coming by to help. Plus, you're cooking skills...they're-"

"You suck at cooking!", Paimon interrupted.

Y/N gasped in deep offense. "What?!?! How can you say that?!?!", she yelled defensively. "Whatever, distraction duty is fine by me anyway."

Xingqiu grinned, "Splendid, we'll see you tomorrow evening then."

"Mmhm, have fun Y/N!", Chongyun added.

...

The next day, Y/N walked alongside Xiangling across the city. The two were carrying large, yet lightweight bamboo baskets on their backs, the rhythm of their feet clapping against Liyue's stone paths clacking in their ears. 

"Thanks a lot for coming with me today! It get's pretty lonely finding ingredients by myself.", Xiangling smiled.

"It's no problem, really. I wanted to spend your birthday with you.", the latter replied.