24: Potential

"I just want to go home..."

Kaeya stared as the girl broke down on the floor, clenching the fabric on her chest into a crumpled pile, heaving as her tears began to stain the sundried, stone path. He stumbled as pushed himself up on his feet, wincing as he pressed on the gash that oozed out of his forehead, staining his spare white cloth with crimson. Kaeya brushed himself off; his knees, his shoulders. Usually, he would be furious. Other times, he would be amused.

But right now, he just felt unsure.

It wasn't guilt that overcame him, or fear, or sympathy. Rather, he felt a sense of duty. Perhaps, Y/N just needed a little push in the right direction before she evolved.

A person seeking redemption is a powerful one, no?

Kaeya chuckled, ambling towards the girl, who didn't pay him any mind as she glared at the white cracks between stone tiles.

"I said that you weren't qualified to be a knight yet," Kaeya whispered, bending down to meet Y/N in the eyes, "But I never said you couldn't be."

Her breath hitched, she looked up. Kaeya grinned with satisfaction, he knew he had struck the right chord.

"You're talented," he continued, "You are. When we had that duel the other day? You had me on my feet. My, I even had to use my Vision!"

Y/N glared at him with her puffy cheeks, what was he getting at?

"The problem is," he groaned as he pulled himself and Y/N up, "Nobody trusts you. You haven't done anything to prove your dedication."

The girl opened her mouth to protest, before being shut down by a 'shhh' from Kaeya.

"But you won't let me!" Kaeya exclaimed with his arms in the air, mocking Y/N's voice with an overexaggerated imitation. "Yes, we won't let you. Why should we?"

"..."

"Why should we, Y/N? What do you have that others - like Aether - don't?"

"..."

"Is your passion strong enough? Do you have what it takes? What do you have to fight for?"

Y/N's breath grew heavy as she continued staring at her feet. Eventually, Kaeya backed off, smirking as he waddled away.

"Don't just tell me your answer. Show me. It would be a shame to let so much potential go to waste."

His feet tapped on the hard stone, Y/N untensed as he walked further and further away.

Kaeya had sparked something in her. It was already there before, but it was on fire now: blazing, burning. A single match was all it took to light a forest on fire.

It became clear; to find Alo, to join the knights, to go back home: she needed to prove herself. Somehow, somewhere. Y/N needed a moment with the spotlight on her, like when Aether fought Stormterror in front of all of Mondstat.

But how? Where? She'll need to plan, she'll need to train. A new wave of determination overtook her. Y/N clenched her teeth, this was something that had to be done.

She stood up and began to walk away, when she spotted a streak of blonde hair, peeking out from behind a stone wall.

"Ack! She saw us!" a shrill, high-pitched voice shouted out. 

It was too late, their hiding spot had already been discovered. Paimon peeked her head out from the wall to see the girl glaring directly into her eyes: her gaze ice-cold, her cheeks still dampened from tears.

"Eek!" the pixie cried, retreating to hid behind Aether's shoulder.

The blonde boy stepped into view, his feet trembling and hesitant, like he was balancing himself on a tight-rope strapped over a cliff. He stared at his feet and clenched his fists at his sides, avoiding eye contact as he pursed his lips into a thin line.