25: The Plan (I)

"Alright, let's get to work."

Y/N sat crosses legged, picking at a flimsy leaf on the sturdy roots at the bottom of the large, towering oak tree near the Statue of Seven at Windrise. The memory of this scenery was still burned into her mind like a photo permanently plastered: when she talked to Venti and learned about the strange mark on her neck, about Alo, about her identity. Perhaps a bit too easily, all the information she'd known about herself was spilled to Aether after the mini-conflict with Kaeya. The parts about Genshin Impact, however, were not included: as well any information one would consider 'spoilers'. 

The blonde was surprised, but not too shocked. He knew very well that anything - and everything - could happen in such a complicated universe. Aether was used to it: the impossible suddenly happening right before his eyes, outcomes he could've never predicted, and epiphanies that clouded his mind in the strangest of moments.

Mondstat was bright - as usual: soft grass, the lingering scent of sweet flowers, the flowing beat of water tinkling against stone, warm rays of sun that filled Y/N to the core. The wind was slightly stronger today, rustling the leaves above them as they drifted down like rainfall over the two travelers, who sat in it's shade.

"Do you have any ideas in mind?" Aether asked, tugging at a sweet flower that grasped to the earth.

"Well," Y/N started, "The obvious decision would be to do something about this Mondstat - Fatui conflict, although things will get messy if the Knights find out."

Aether nodded. "Plus, you've already helped them find preservation methods. We're lucky we've got Amber, all it took was one lesson from you and she's already leading the drying process."

Y/N chuckled as a breeze tickled the insides of her ear. "That's Amber for you."

She sighed, "But do you really think we're doing enough? The devices don't seem to be activated yet, and the meat we store will eventually run out. What happens then? The problem isn't being solved, it's only being pushed back."

Aether stopped poking at his sweet flower.

"I agree." he muttered, biting the insides of his cheeks. "The implementations of these capsules are clearly some sort of declaration of war. Yet, they don't want to attack us."

Y/N gulped down her anxiety. Political conflicts required more thought and strategy than she had predicted.

"Just what are they after?" Aether murmered, resting his chin on a hands, his elbows plopped onto his knees. "What do they want? What's the purpose of this?"

"Either way, we have to do something. Kaeya had a point, do we just stay idle like sitting ducks."

Aether narrowed his eyes. "Is fighting really a good answer?"

Y/N accepted his challenge and sat up straighter. "What other choice do we have?"

"We don't even know they're intentions, how do you plan to confront them head on?"

"Confronting them head on is the best choice we have. Unless you plan to wait and watch Mondstat fall to the Tsaritsa's regime."

"And you think breeding violence will prevent that from happening?"

"No, I think that-"

"Stop fighting!" Paimon exclaimed with her palms thrusted out between the two. "You need to co-operate for a plan to work! Even Paimon knows that!"

Y/N groaned and slumped back onto the tree stump, her shoulders rounded against the wood and her chin tucked in. They were arguing in circles: perhaps her way of thinking was more up-front and simplistic than Aether's - more reckless, even - but they didn't have time to decipher any hidden meanings or messages. Y/N knew that he preferred calculated, carefully constructed strategies, but was such a method of approach really appropriate for the given situation? How long would it take just to get a single word out of the Fatui? By then, wouldn't the city already be starving?