36: Alberich

i remember one comment saying how there should be a chapter in kaeya's pov and thats a great idea so i'm adding that here

this chap def took the longest to write so its def my fave so far

...

Kaeya Alberich smiled. He smiled simply because he could.

He was never a slacker, always sure of his suspicions and resolving his mistakes with the same charming snicker. He didn't mind getting his hands dirty in order to create the outcomes he desired, and his eyes would hold an amused glint whenever he challenged one's values and decisions - whether it be his allies, or enemies.

He'll admit it: he's particularly drawn to the negative emotions of others, often placing them in distressing situations just to see how they will act. Even so, his charisma and talent has gained him a flattering reputation; amongst the Knights and citizens alike.

That is, amongst everyone except  for his brother.

They sat in Jean's office on opposite ends of the large rectangular table. A dozen or so Vision-wielding Knights filled the space between them, and that was exactly how they wanted it.

Kaeya stared at Diluc, simply noticing how his eyebrows narrowed almost unwillingly; how he always kept a calm, yet stoic gaze, and how he seemed to lean away from Kaeya's direction whenever they made eye-contact.

"Cavalry Captain? Do you agree?" 

"Hm?" Kaeya flickered his gaze towards Jean, who stared back at him expectantly with her fingers intertwined on the table. 

"Apologies, Grand Master." he bowed his head. "Could you repeat your question?"

Jean sighed. "Our top priority at the moment is putting a stop to the effects of the Fatui devices. I've already assigned Amber, Aether, and Albedo to figure out the true nature of their operation. But there are still other roles that need to be covered."

Kaeya nodded, and Jean continued. "Mondstat is undoubtedly experiencing hysteria and confusion during these times. Should this continue, chaos and crime will definitely break out amongst civilians. Even with the dried meat we saved in supply, it's likely that there will be some form of protest."

"Jean and I will be handling the food distribution." Lisa perked up. "Kaeya, you'd be able to keep the citizens and military under control, right? You've gained the respect of everyone inside these walls, it shouldn't prove to be that much of a struggle."

Maintaining peace in the city, even with a sure consequence of internal conflict? It was a tough job for one man.

But Jean trusted him, everyone did. If Kaeya couldn't do it, than nobody could.

He gave a soft chuckle. "Of course, you can count on me." 

To be frank, he couldn't care less about whether Jean's plan failed or succeeded. He was more interested in how the others would carry it out.

Kaeya batted his eyelashes at Diluc as if to establish a confident victory on his part. The nobleman simply scoffed and looked away, rolling his eyes.

...

The graphite scratched across a sheet of paper, and a trail of textured gray was streaked across.

Albedo furiously sketched the devices, one drawing for each location. He sketched everything he failed to understand, in attempt to make sense of the impossible.

The Fatui were impossible. Not one thing lined up with the other. For once in his life, the Chief Alchemist was completely - and utterly - stumped.