45: Taking Sides

hey a few peeps asked for disc sserver so i made one haha i might be rlly inactive tho but u'll get more frequent updates and u will talk to people and fun yes join yes join link in my bio join here is link as well: https://discord.gg/WmnCaTKY

update: hey apparently discord links expire so heres a permanent one https://discord.gg/tyJfFFyRFp

...

Y/N gave a small smile that looked more as if she was pursing her lips together. She signaled at the forest with a tilt of the head, and Diluc and Amber emerged from the dark, leafy shadows.

"What?" Childe whipped his head around at the sound of rustling bushes. "Where you two there all along?"

Childe cursed himself for being so naive, so amateurish. How could he have been so ignorant to his surroundings that he hadn't even questioned if the two had truly left? He swore he could've caught them lurking right away, but in the pitch black night and his plan in shambling distress, perhaps his senses were just a tad off.

The harbinger glared at Diluc as he ambled towards Y/N with a knife, swiftly slicing the ropes that tied her limbs to a chair with a quick flick of the wrist. Amber just stood; stood and watched. It took Childe a while to realize that she was actually staring at him, her gaze filled with fear; and pity.

By the time Childe figured out what was going on, it was already too late.

"You betrayed me?" he screamed, nearly tumbling over his chair from the force of his rage.

Y/N narrowed her eyes as she stood up, the severed rope falling onto the ground by her sides.

"I was never on your side to begin with."

"So you were always on the Knight's?" Childe spat. "Don't you dare give me that! You hate them! Isn't that why you agreed to train with me? Because at least I helped you improve?"

Y/N gulped. "It was your fault for putting too much trust into your abilities."

"But I'm right, aren't I?" he snarled. "Pick a damn side, Y/N! You know you want too- gah!"

A thick towel was stuffed in Childe's mouth before he could continue speaking.

"You're a lot more likeable when you're not talking," Diluc grumbled from behind the harbinger. "Give it up already. Stop faking your distress. Doesn't the Fatui put you through more than this?"

Childe groaned a reply through the fabric, but of course, to no avail.

"Anyways," Diluc muttered as he strolled towards Y/N and Amber. "We're all set up now. You've confirmed that the other group is on the way, correct?"

Y/N nodded. "Mmhm."

"Good, good," Diluc mumbled. "Honestly, I was a bit scared when you told me you didn't want to join Jean's plan. But it turns out yours might be just as effective, if not more."

The girl grinned slightly at the compliment. "I'm glad you decided to help."

"If I believe it's the best for Mondstat, then I have no reason not to carry through with it."

He shot a short glance at Amber. "As for this young lady, I'm not quite sure why she's here."

The Outrider narrowed her eyes as Diluc kept his glare.

"I thought we told her to stay back and stay down. Were you aware of her arrival, Y/N?"

Y/N rolled her eyes with a click of the tongue.

"It's alright, she overheard our plan that day anyway," she said with a tiny laugh. "Having an extra-hand is nothing to fuss over."

Throughout their entire conversation, Childe could only stare at him from afar as they talked and talked. He hung has head back and took a deep breath; he wasn't worried, no. Y/N had tricked him and he wasn't able to help La Signora proceed with their plan, but even so, three enemies were not enough to spell the end for a Fatui harbinger. Childe couldn't figure out what they were planning to do with him, but he wouldn't let them succeed either way.

He gave a muffled chuckle under his breath, amused with his enemy's nonchalant behavior.

Once La Signora gets here, we'll see who's tied up then.

"Anyways," Y/N's voice snapped Childe out of his trance. "We should prepare, they'll be here any minute."

Amber tapped the girl on the shoulder. "Do you need me to do anything?"

"Erhm," Y/N muttered. "I guess...watch from somewhere far. If something goes wrong, you'll need to run and tell Jean."

Amber frowned, but complied. 

After all, she was already satisfied to simply be part of an operation like this.

Even as a reputable Outrider, the Knight's tended not to deploy her in any crucial situations. Just hilichurl camps and citizen commissions; social tasks, back lane tasks. To this day, Kaeya would still pat her back and encourage her like she was rookie. Jean would only rely on her for internal conflicts like lost cats and food distribution, never for anything involving enemy nations or the Abyss.

Though she did feel guilty sneaking around that day while on patrol, overhearing Diluc and Y/N's vigorous conversation, she couldn't help it. Just what where they talking about? Would they be willing to tell her? Did it have anything to do with why Aether and Y/N seemed so distant from each other?

Before she knew it, Diluc was accusing Y/N of confiding with a harbinger. They yelled and screamed, cried and sobbed. All Amber could do was watch; like a useless bystander.

Eventually, they stopped. Y/N uttered something that caught Diluc's attention, Amber moved closer to hear.

"Please...just listen to me," pleaded the young adventurer. "I don't want to admit it! I don't! But they're on to me, I know they are!"

"Y/N, some mark on your neck isn't enough to prove affiliation with the Fatui," Diluc hissed. "What if that harbinger was lying about Alo, huh? How are you so sure they'd be willing to fold just for you?"

"D-don't say it like that..." Y/N stammered. "I'm nobody to them! But they must want something with me, right? Why would they be so pushy for me to join them?"

Her voice grew quieter.

"And...those devices. Whenever I get around them, they zap me of something and I-"

She immediately paused and whipped her head around.

"I heard a sound."

Amber held her breath. Had she been too loud? Accidentally ruffled the leaves in her hiding bush?

Whatever it was she did, the duo and figured her out. They had told her to go home; go home, and stay quiet. But she couldn't do that, now would she?

So here she was, spectating like an intruder within their plan.

Not that she felt particularly bad about it. At least not enough, to obey Y/N and Diluc's previous orders.

The three of them took their positions and waited. Just stood, and waited. After what seemed like a millennium of stalling, they finally heard a voice.

"Goodness, Tartaglia. You let these Mondstat folks get the best of you?"

La Signora.

Y/N immediately held a knife to Childe's throat.

"Oh? Bold, are we? Put the weapon down, let's talk like civilized people."

Y/N narrowed her eyebrows. "No thanks, we only want one thing."

She clenched her fists to stop herself from shaking.

"Get rid of your devices, or this harbinger is dead."

.

.

.

 happy pride <3