Grateful

A.N. This one-shot is originally owned by sam6sam, whom I thank for making this possible. This is a long-awaited part two to "Peter Parker vs. Fieldtrips". Hope you enjoy!

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Tony and Bruce were working on a project in the lab. It was everyday stuff.

What wasn't normal was the silence.

I don't mean the "they're not talking to each other" silence, I mean the "no music, no mumbling, literally no noise" silence.

It was...nice, for a change.

"Hey, Tony?"

Ah, so much for liberation from noise.

"'Sup, Brucie boo?"

"Um, so I met this kid today. Think his name was Peter. He-"

"-really intrigues you? Put you in a fix? Amazed you?" finished Tony, putting down his tools and turning around to face the other scientist.

"Exactly," exclaimed Zeu-sorry, Bruce. "He's been on my mind al-wait, how did you know?" he asked, looking at the man of Iron.

"Well, this class of kiddies came over for a field trip today and I had some random meeting at the time. One thing led to another, and suddenly I was chaperoning them. FRIDAY was playing back some footage regarding that and we noticed that he was the only one in that room who started with coding. I mean, not that big of a deal, but his stuff was pretty smart."

"Makes sense. I crossed paths with the kid today morning and he was hurt. So, after patching him up, he said that he loved my work on anti-electron collisions."

"And that is a big deal because..."

"Tony, people I've worked with for years need a simplified explanation for the same. Even you needed a bit of nudging and explanation to get it. If that kid, a high schooler, understood what I had written in that thesis, I wonder how high his IQ could be."

They both instantly looked at each other.

Only difference was that Tony had a look of excitement while Bruce looked like he regretted it already.

"Tony, no."

"Tony, yes!"

"You can't background the kid, Tony." said Pepper Potts as she entered the lab.

"How did you know we wer-"

"Everyone's seen the kid. Natasha and Clint were talking about how he barely blinked when Clint popped out from the vent and when Natasha strolled in. She already did background on the kid, assuming he was some terrorist, and found that he was a Peter Parker," she said, pulling up his file for them. "Steve and Wanda saw his face, heard his name and instantly started defending him, said that he had helped them while in the tower. FRIDAY then pulled up footage of him finding and placing Sam's cross on the table."

Tony was appaled. "How could he see the thing, it was hidden in-"

"-some wires? I know, and we'll talk about that later." Pepper chided him in her stern voice.

"He's even met Bucky. Bumped into him on his walk, complimented his arm, and dashed off."

"Kid sure does get around," said Tony, looking at his file for the first time.

"Peter B. Parker, goes to Midtown Tech, top of his class and specializes in engineering, physics and biochemistry-"

"Wait, I thought you couldn't major in subjects when you're still in school?" asked a thoroughly confused Bruce.