Again (Pt.3)

This is Part 3. For Matthorseman and JimmyGaroppolo10, who got really involved in this series. This one might jump the gun a bit fast, so hang tight.

|||||||||||||||

The mission was simple: apologize to Peter Parker.

They had done him wrong, so all they had to do was find him and apologize.

Easy, right?

Mmm...no.

They thought that Peter would attend May's funeral, so they patrolled the procession. Sam suggested going undercover as a pallbearer, but Steve slapped him.

"It's one thing to dishearten a kid, but to insult his dead aunt? His last living relative? What monster are you?" he spat.

Anyways, Peter didn't show up, which baffled them.

They then checked at his school, since he would never miss a day of it. When they checked the office, they informed them that Peter had been transferred. They asked for the school to which he had transferred to, which turned out to be a dead end.

Peter had tested out early, and therefore didn't need to go to school anymore.

The days turned into weeks. Then months.

The rest of the team became more worried as the time passed, which prompted them to join in on the search.

No luck.

Peter had been gone for five years now.

They could not find Peter. No matter what they tried or where they looked, he wasn't there.

At first, after encountering Peter's contacts, Steve had received a drive from one of them.

The drive wasn't a drive at all, and turned out to be a case for Peter's nanotech suit.

Steve tried to hide it from Tony, dreading the ill effects it would have on the latter, but Tony found out, like he always does.

***

-/Flashback: One Week After Peter's Disappearance/-

Steve was caught completely off-guard when it had happened.

The team was in the control center, searching for Peter through the surveillance networks, when FRIDAY sounded an alert.

"Shell of a Man Protocol engaged."

Tony briefly smiled at the protocol name created by Peter, which obviously was a SpongeBob reference. He then recognized the protocol, and frowned.

"Who's suit is in the building, FRI?" which seemed like a stupid question to the rest of the team, who were watching him.

FRIDAY projected a serial number.

It was of Peter's nanobot suit.

No, no, no, no, no.

Tony's breath caught in his throat. He feared the worst.

"Who signed it in?" he asked.