Chapter 7

I stared unblinkingly at Brooklyn. Her eyes were closed as her chest moved up and down slowly. I bit on my nails, pulling them off one by one. I couldn’t understand why I was so worried about her. It was clear that she wasn’t dead. So why was I acting like she was about to take her last breath?

I stood up from the chair I was sitting on and picked my phone up from the nearby table. I quickly dialed Nolan’s phone number. I continued biting on my nails though there nothing to bite but skin.

“She’s not dead Zack!” Nolan yelled into the phone.

“Jeez, why are you angry?”

“This is the 12th time you called me since you brought her to your house! She. Is. Fine.”

“But she hasn’t woken up in a couple hours. I mean something could be wr…”

“Zack, I’m going to need you to listen to my words very closely. Okay?” Nolan said cutting me off. I nodded even though he couldn’t see me. “The girl is fine. I’m going to hang up this phone. Do not call me again.”

“Ok wait, wait. Just tell me one thing.”

He sighed heavily. “Fine! What?!”

“W-why am I feeling like this? Like… I feel l-like a…”

“You don’t have to explain, I know how you’re feeling. Brooklyn is your mate, a part of you. And right now you know that she is okay, but your wolf is in distress thinking that his mate is seriously hurt. So just try you’re best to stay calm and keep you’re wolf under control. Now leave me alone.” He quickly hung up the phone before I could say anymore.

I pressed the end button and dropped my phone back onto the table.

I walked back into the living room where Brooklyn lay on the couch. I leant against the wall as I stared at her. I took deep breaths, trying to calm my wolf. I noticed Brooklyn stir in her sleep. She turned slightly to rest on her side.

Mate is okay! my wolf yelled. Mate should be comfortable. Take to bed.

I walked over to the couch. I bent down and lifted Brooklyn into my arms bridal style. She immediately wrapped her arms around my neck, cuddling into me.

I carried her to my room. Holding her with one arm, I pulled the covers back with my other hand. I then laid her down onto the bed. I pulled the covers around her, tucking her in.  I leant over and placed a soft kiss on her forehead, sniffing her scent. She smelled exquisite, of lilac and vanilla.

Of my body’s own accord, I climbed into the bed next to her. I pulled her body into mine, her back pressed to my front. She moaned slightly. I wrapped my arms around her waist as I cuddled into her neck, placing soft kisses. My wolf reveled in the feeling of being so close to his mate. Before long, I found myself drifting off to sleep.