Chapter 16

I quickly cleansed my body before shutting off the water and climbing out of the shower. I grabbed a towel from one of the racks against the wall. I wrapped it around my waist and walked out of the bathroom. 

I stopped in my footsteps as I saw Brooklyn lying on the bed in a fluffy white robe. I heard the small sound of her sobs. 

I debated on whether or not to approach her. I didn’t want her to go bipolar on me again. 

Just go, asshole! 

I listened to the voice inside of my head and walked over to the bed. 

I slowly climbed on and lay behind Brooklyn, spooning her. I kissed her cheek lightly. She shrugged away from me. 

I frowned. “What’s wrong?” She remained silent. “Did I do something?”

Brooklyn released a shaky breath before responding. “You held my arms, my wrists.” 

“Yeah, I-I did.” 

“That’s what they used to do to me.” she whimpered, burying her face into the pillow. 

“Who?” I asked. But I quickly realized who she was referring to; the men who forced her to have sex with them. “Oh.” I leant down, pressing my lips against her neck. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know. I didn’t mean to upset you.” 

“I know.” she mumbled into the pillow. “It’s not your fault. I’m just… fucked up.” 

I remained silent, unsure of what to say. 

“I think you should go.” Brooklyn said, breaking the silence. 

“G-go?” 

“Yes. I think that we could both uhm… use some space. Besides, tomorrow is Monday. I’m sure you have to get ready for work or something.” 

“Yeah, yeah. You’re right.” I said, feeling slightly dejected. She was really kicking me out. 

I jumped off of the bed, grabbing my things from the floor. I dressed quickly, shaking out my wet hair. 

“I’ll talk to you later?” I questioned. 

“You can let yourself out.” Brooklyn said, ignoring my question. 

I silently fumed as I stomped out of the bedroom, down the stairs, and through the front door. I stormed over to my car, climbing in. I slammed the door shut. I plugged the key into the ignition, revving the engine. I pulled out of Brooklyn winding driveway as fast as I could. 

“Ugh!” I had never felt this way before. What was this feeling? I felt… rejected, unwanted. No one had ever kicked me out before. I was always the one ushering someone out. She did it so cold heartedly, not even bothering to look at me or escort me to the door.