Chapter forty-one

It was lunchtime. Talia was sat on a large table, staring at an array of gorgeous food laid out in front of her. This was the first of the meals in celebration of Caspian's coronation. In front of her the table bore the most extravagant of fruits from all of the corners of the explored world; there were cakes that rose higher and higher, so high Talia feared that they might just topple over; loaves and loaves of bread, with homely scents that covered over the entire palace.

And around this finely decorated table sat many a people. At the top was Caspian, who smiled down onto everyone, from his beautifully adorned chair, atop of his head the crown was placed and it's gems lit the room, with just the intensity as the sun lights the sky. Although, many couldn't help but notice that the boy did not look as happy as he first appeared. It seemed as though he sent out blank smiles- void of anything real.

Around this table also sat the highest lords and ladies of Narnia, the best soldiers from the recent battle (including the beloved Trumpkin) and of course, the Pevesnie siblings and Talia- perhaps the most anticipated guests, after Caspian.

Talia sat in-between Lucy and Susan; she was quiet, her eyes down, toying with her food. Opposite her sat Edmund, who sent occasional, concerned glances the girl's way; but every glance he sent was overshadowed by the bellowing laughs of the table, the jokes of his brother, or all of the other adoring faces that looked onto Talia. To her Edmund was just another staring eye, another eye she wished she could just pull from it's gaze. The boy, however, was concerned as to why all seemed to look upon her. Edmund had always been relatively observant, and he noted that both Talia and Caspian were not themselves at this dinner. He also noted how the ladies whispered to one another, when the girl did so much as even move her hand. How the Lords stared on at her with vile intensity.

Edmund leaned over to his brother, not wishing to disturb the energy of the room just yet, "What is going on?" he murmured under his breath.

Peter turned to his brother, a saddened expression over his face, "You don't know?"

The younger brother frowned, "What?" he spoke sharply.

But just as his brother began to speak, a voice cut him off. It was an elder Lord, a man who both Edmund and Peter did not recognise. The man gently tapped his fork against the side of his glass, calling for silence, as he rose from his seat. Everyone looked to him, and silence fell like a blanket over the people.

"As we all know, this dinner is a celebration... a celebration of life," he paused, "and sadly of death, as we remember all that have fallen in order for us to get to this great position. We celebrate those who have passed today, and tomorrow and our celebration, our remembrance, our resistance shall never cease. But out of all the destruction we have each endured, positive light comes from," he motioned to Caspian, "we have a King, who will protect us as his own, and will bring new life to our Kingdom, and of course, our majesty will need his Queen to fulfil this duty and therefore, it is my pleasure to announce the joyous engagement between our courageous King, and the land's dearest lady; the Princess Talia Sunsei."

Talia smiled wide, standing from her chair- knowing that now was the time she needed to fulfil her role. She once again avoided the eyes of Edmund, as the pangs of loss and un-comfort exploded within her chest. She continued her act, adding in an occasional longing stare in the direction of Caspian, who reciprocated, with the same act.

Anger rose within Edmund, as the boy put two and two together, the boy stood as well, raising a glass, "To the happy couple!" he spoke, with a sarcastic tone.

"Here, here!" the table of people responded, with cheer; and the table exploded into fruitful conversation.

A rising anxiety began to fall over Talia, as person after person came up to her to applaud the engagement. She knew that ultimately the decision would affect her future forever; she had accepted this before her and Edmund had made up, and she knew that it was far to late to turn back now. The breath that lingered in her throat hitched, and tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

"Excuse me." she muttered softly, before walking out of the dining hall.

All eyes rose to the girl, as she left the room. Concern was soon to follow as they saw her hand move up to her face, presumably to wipe away a tear. Caspian rose to follow out after, but was stopped by the hand of a noble, who spoke quietly into his ear, "it is best not to cause a scene."

But a scene had already been created, as the table dropped into small whispers and gossips.

Peter turned to his brother, who sat silently his eyes focusing on Talia's empty chair, anger rising within him. Edmund had come to his own conclusions about what had happened in regard to the engagement between Talia and Caspian- and what he had decided on, made fury flow through him. He aggressively stood up from his chair, ignoring the pleading looks from his sisters, who sat opposite from where he was standing. The boy made his way over to Caspian, grabbing the hilt of his sword.

Caspian looked towards Edmund with pure confusion written over his face, but his hand also felt its way to the sword that sat at his side, just in case.

"Forcing her to marry you? That's a low blow even for a Telmarine." Edmund spat, drawing his sword and raising it in the direction of Caspian.

The older boy threw his hands up in surrender, "I would never force her to do something, she hadn't already complied too. This was a willing arrangement."

Edmund scoffed, "Oh, I doubt that. I see the way you look at her."

Caspian stepped towards the blade being held towards him, despite the warnings from the nobles around him, and lowered his voice to an assertive tone, "this arrangement is for the future of Narnia, I promise you- this is nothing she had not agreed too. I care for her deeply and I assure you that I would never wish to force anything upon her- she is my best friend."

Edmund pressed his sword closer to the throat of Caspian, "And she is mine." he spat back and turned to face the audience of lords and ladies now staring down the altercation between the boys, "Talia is not just some bargaining chip to further the prospects of Narnia. I am just as royal as Caspian, here, in fact I am more so- and therefore I decree that this arrangement is null. There will be no royal wedding." He declared, before sheathing his sword, and storming out of the hall to catch up with Talia.