Chapter twenty-three

She walked over to join Miraz, still tied at her hands. A soldier trailed after her, making sure that she would not run away or do something stupid. He had seen the girl laugh at her father's dead body, so kept his distance, from what he perceived to be a crazed girl.

"I can't believe you actually did it." Talia muttered to the King.

The King ignored her, keeping his eyes focused upon the younger boy who walked towards them. Edmund was now remarkably close to the camp, and he noticed the missing girl standing beside Miraz; an awfully specific type of anger flowed through him, he had searched everywhere for the girl when she had disappeared from the Narnian's base...

~ Earlier in the day ~

Edmund had a large sinking feeling in his stomach, which told him that something was wrong when he woke up in the morning. He woke just as the sun rose over the fields. The boy did not sleep very well, today was the day he would venture over to the telmarine camp to present their preposition. He was nervous- he wasn't intimidated by Miraz, he was more nervous that this was his first chance to prove himself to the elder King. He wanted to be recognised as just as strong as his older brother, or even as brave as Caspian was. He wanted the King to be intimidated of him just as he was the other monarchs, he wanted to be recognised as powerful too; that's why he volunteered himself. Realistically he more so wanted to prove himself to his brother than to Miraz, but of course, the boy did not wish to admit that.

All the Narnians slept within the main area of the tomb, there was not many of them left now, and they all fit just perfectly. Obviously, sleeping on the hard, concrete floor was not like the comforts many of them were used too, but they coped. They coped with makeshift pillows and blankets. They coped with the comfort of each other. Edmund turned over, hoping to face his friend Talia, who usually ended up sleeping nearby, but he couldn't see her. The pit in his stomach grew, but again he ignored it, and began to rise from his sleeping position. He supposed the girl had already woken up and was eating her breakfast, or something. He was confused, however, because last night she had the evening lookout shift, and usually after this she slept in, in the morning. He, once again, ignored his confusions, and continued focusing on his optimism.

He stood up and began to walk over to his older brother and sister who sat together, eating, quietly. Not many of the other Narnians had woken up yet.

"Morning." Edmund mumbled as he sat down next to his siblings. He noticed that Susan had somewhat of a defeated look in her eye, but Peter only bore a smirk.

"I see that both Talia and Caspian are nowhere to be seen this morning." he winked at his siblings; it was not usual for Peter to be so improper. Edmund sent a punch to his brother's arm, and Susan reprimanded him. The three of them looked out into the crowd of Narnians, scanning for Caspian and Talia, but just as Peter had said they were both nowhere to be seen.

Another pang ran through Edmund. It was a feeling he wasn't sure about; it was one he was not sure if he had even felt before. It rose within him, like some kind of hot liquid pouring through his veins, he was jealous; but of course, the boy, being just sixteen, didn't quite notice that this was what he felt. He knew he felt angry, and that was all.

The three siblings sat in silence for a while, waiting for the other Narnians to arise from their sleep. Until they heard the shouts from outside; they immediately grabbed their weapons, rushing towards the noise.

Susan recognised the voice, almost straight away, "Wait!" she demanded of her brothers, and they complied, stopping in their tracks, "It's Caspian." she added. They continued towards his shouts, only this time with less threat in their struts.