Chapter one

She stared into the mirror, taking in the reflection before her. Her eyes travelled across her body- she watched how her raven-brown hair gently flowed in the wind, from the open window, how her olive skin appeared to glow under the sunlight that cascaded into her bedchambers. In her eyes all others saw was the weakness of a foolish Princess, but she knew that there was more to her than that; memories of sword fights and horse races fell into her mind, and she couldn't help but smile over the imagery. The young girl's wits and talents were far more superior to any man at the Court, yet she was simply not recognised for any one of her skills- the burden of being ignored, cast aside, had took its toll on the girl, and she could see it in her reflection; her eyes were tired of the performance, her figure bored of being dainty, her mouth tired of having to be silent- so many words begging to be heard. She frowned and drew back from the mirror.

Sitting on the edge of her four-poster bed the girl looked over the letter that sat next to her, it spoke words of celebration, yet that was far from the emotion she was feeling. Underneath the letter lay a dress-pure white, covered in beautiful lace designs and soft, light coloured, beads; it was her wedding dress. On the day after her sixteenth birthday, she was to be married off. Today was her birthday.

Having been betrothed from birth, the girl grew up in the Court of her future husband's family. She was educated there, she went to her first ball there, it was all that she had ever known- she never much saw her own family, who were royals of another province. For the most part the girl lived within the four walls of her bedchambers, except when she disappeared to learn how to wield a sword or shoot a bow; she learnt all she knew through her future husband, whom she had grown close to. The pair were the best of friends, having spent virtually all their lives together- yet they did not love one another; at least she did not love him. She sighed, journeying over to the window. She stared longingly into the forest in the far distance; she longed for even an ounce for the freedom that nature possessed. Her mind played over visions of happiness, independence-yet they were rudely interrupted:

"Talia Sunsei, the ball is to begin in less than an hour and you are still clothed in your nightgown. Is this what you are planning to wear?" questioned the Queen Mother, who was the girl's soon to be Aunt-in-Law. The Queen Mother was a woman of excellent formality; her face was harsh and sharp, yet it still possessed a certain type of timeless beauty, despite all it had seen.

"Why yes Queen Mother, this is my dress for this evening- isn't it gorgeous!" she scoffed sarcastically, twirling around in her nightdress. Talia had always had a cheek to her tone, especially when it came to Prunaprisma, the Queen Mother. Most of the time she held back her sarcasm and quiet jokes but sometimes they simply fell off her tongue, insulting the royal normalcy of the palace.

"Good heavens, what on earth has gotten into you?" the elder woman retorted, a shocked tone to her voice. She turned to her lady in waiting, "fetch Talia's maids at once." she demanded. Returning to the young girl, she drew back to call another order, but was broken off by a stern voice,

"That's enough, Aunt Prunaprisma." a young man stated, entering the bedroom. He was a tall boy, with shining dark, black hair that fell kindly to his shoulders, framing his charming face; which naturally sat in a small smile whenever he saw the young girl. 

"Caspian!" Talia exclaimed in shock, jumping behind her wardrobe door, to hide her improper outfit. "I am in my nightdress." she laughed, her head poking out of the side of the door.

"Oh goodness, I do apologise." He turned to face the wall; the pair struggled to hold back their laughs at the situation.

But the ever so formal Prunaprimsa returned to the situation at hand, "King Miraz will not be happy with that tone Caspian, how dare you speak that way to your superior." this silenced the giggling teenagers- Miraz was not a nice person to anger. "the pair of you are to be married tomorrow and I, for one, will certainly not be tolerating either of your childish behaviour from this moment onwards. As for you Caspian, you should know far better than entering a woman's bedchambers; we do not want any rumours of impropriety spreading before you are wed- now you must leave, King Miraz is, I'm sure, expecting you." the young man promptly left the bedroom, turning to send Talia a goofy smile before holding the door open for three of Talia's maids, as he left. Prunaprimsa turned to the servants, "Finally women, what took you so long? Talia get out from behind the wardrobe door and for heaven's sake get dressed girl. "and she too left the Princess' bedchambers.