Chapter forty-two

Meanwhile, Talia speedily walked out of the dining room hall, ignoring all of the commotion she had left behind in her wake. Once she had heard the doors slam closed behind her, the girl picked up her dress and ran to the only hiding place she could think of at the time: the balcony- the same one she had found Edmund at before.

Upon arriving to the balcony, her fingers found comfort in the cold stone that made up the railing before her; it was decorated in a light coat of vines- bright green in their colour. Here she could see over the whole landscape of Narnia: the curves of the mountains in the far distance, the ups and downs of trees- that now returned to their usual dances in the wind- she could even make out faint blurs of centaurs on the move over the hills. The midday sun beamed heavily down upon her, in attempt to cheer her up.

But the truth was, Talia did not know what to do- she had previously believed that accepting the marriage to Caspian would lessen the eventual pain of Edmund leaving. She believed that in marrying Caspian, Edmund would distance himself, and the pair would grow apart, until he returned back to his home. She wanted to stay distanced from Edmund, for to fall in love with someone- who at any time could leave you for good- is the worst type of scary. And so many people had left her over the years, but Caspian had remained the one constant. To marry Caspian would not only benefit the prosperity and future of Narnia, but it would benefit her- it would leave her forever tied to her best friend, never having to fear being left alone ever again.

But her heart called for another name.

And when she saw him at the lunch, a million doubts crossed over her.

Her eyes returned back to her hands, which continued to hold the balconies edge- something else also called her name: Narnia- the land, the nature, the animals. But most of all the magic, she yearned for the power she had felt flow through her, when she made the river her weapon. She yearned the peace she felt whilst roaming the forests with Trumpkin, or when she would swim in the lakes, or climb the trees. Here, in the palace, she was still the same pawn that she used to be- nothing had changed. She thought that with Caspian's reign she would be free to be her own person, but those commanding forces still remained at play. And being in the palace, only brought back violent memories she had wished to forget. The magic of Narnia shouted for her return- and she knew that if she reconnected with it, her powers would grow much stronger than they ever would if she stayed cooped in the palace.

A lone tear raced down her face- everyone would probably be looking for her now. But she didn't want to be found, not just yet. She had something to do.

The girl sat down on the stone floor beneath her, and gently closed her eyes. She began to whisper, "here I am, making a call to the old- a call to my ancestors whose energy continues to flow within me, and I ask for your counsel, your advice, or even just a sign."

But before any sign could be given, a tall, brunette boy fell through the door to the room she was within.

Talia's eyes slammed open, and she swiftly stood up- looking the boy in his eyes for what seemed like the first time in forever. And he looked right back at her reddened ones.

"There you are." Edmund spoke, so softly it could barely be heard over the songs of the wind. His face was adorned with compassion for the girl before him- his heart broke at all that she had been through in her life. He made his way over to her, reaching out his hands to hold hers, but Talia stepped back: weary, guilty. "Did Caspian force you into all this?" he asked, but she remained blank faced, un-answering. "Was it the nobles? Which one of them forced your hand, I swear-"

"Edmund stop." Talia interrupted, breaking the interrogation. Guilt raced through her, jamming through her veins, he did not know that she had willingly agreed, or at least he chose not to believe it.

The compassion that once decorated Edmund's face, was slowly beginning to lift- confusion now filled him. The boy lowered his voice, and he spoke slowly, "tell me that I did not just make a fool out of myself in front of everyone." But once again, Talia could not answer his demand, which only angered him further. Edmund stepped closer to Talia, so that their faces were but an inch apart, "Tell me!" he roared.

Tears filled Talia's eyes, which was enough of an answer for the boy. She could see his eyes drop and hurt fill them at the corners. She reached out to grab his hand, but he pulled away swiftly, "Ed, please." she whimpered.

"No, Talia. What has all this been? A dreadful plight to string me along, whilst you plan your big, white wedding with your dear Prince? How long has this even been agreed? Before or after you kissed me?" He spat out at her, turning to leave.

Now anger, too, coursed through Talia, "How dare you accuse me of such crime? I could ask you the same thing: are you stringing me along for a little fling before you return home to this unknown land in which you speak of? Never to see me again? I have a life, Edmund! A life I need to prepare for for when you leave me!"

"Leave you? You believe I would do so willingly?" Edmund returned, Talia could see that she had struck something deep within him. "My heart aches for you. It aches for our future together. Now I cannot control the hands of fate that dictate whether I have to leave or not, but I can control the fact that I want to spend every waking moment with you until that moment comes. And I will not sit here and watch as you marry yourself off to Caspian."

Talia spoke softly, "But you have to understand-"

Edmund interrupted harshly, "I understand perfectly fine Talia. It is you who does not comprehend-"

"Stop it! Stop telling me how I should feel! How can you expect me to be perfectly content with the idea of becoming close to you, only for you to be ripped from my presence, at any time, for any length of time? I cannot loose you like that." She sighed, looking to the floor, "It is better this way..."

The boy's eyes began to brim with tears, also, he raised his hand to her chin, to raise her gaze to his, "Why not make the most of the time we have?" he spoke gently, moving his hand to cup her cheek.

She relaxed into his touch, her face melting into his skin, "And when you leave? Expect me to be content with mere memories, never being able to hear your voice, or feel your touch again?"

Edmund sighed softly at the girl's unwavering stubbornness, "At least we would have plenty a selection of memories to choose from." Talia let out a gentle laugh, and paused for a moment- this was all her heart had ever called for. She, too, brought her hand up to rest on the side of his face, and her fingers softly mingled in with the curls of his hair. She did not know how to respond and the boy took this as his cue to continue, "Let me take you to the ball tonight and see if I can change your mind." he declared.

"The Ball?" she laughed, her head falling into his chest, "Think of all the ruckus we'll cause."

"Then let's give them something to talk about." Edmund smiled.