Chapter twelve

It turned nightfall, and the friends put down their equipment to prepare for another night. Once again, Trumpkin lit the most beautiful fire, and they stared into it until they all drew too sleepy to stare any longer.

It was the boys who fell asleep first, and Talia listened to Edmund's soft breathing from beside her, and Peter's gentle snores from across the fire. She also listened to the sisters who began to whisper under the moonlight,

"Lucy? Are you awake?" Susan questioned.

"Hmm." she responded, sleepily.

"Why do you think I didn't see Aslan?" the older girl asked, a sad tone to her voice.

"You believe me?"

"Well, we got across the gorge."

"I don't know. Maybe you didn't really want to, or maybe he didn't want you to just yet." she said repeating Talia's earlier words.

"You always knew we'd be coming back here, didn't you?"

"I hoped so." Lucy smiled.

"I finally just got used to the idea of being in England." Susan sighed.

"I'm glad you're here." Talia spoke, sitting upright, "Aren't you?" she walked over joining the other girls, sitting beside them, legs crossed.

"Right," Lucy agreed, "You're happy to be here, aren't you?"

"While it lasts." Susan said, staring up at the sky.

Talia and Lucy looked at each other sadly, and then both rolled over to fall asleep.

It wasn't long before the night turned to day, and the sun began to rise. Lucy was the first to wake, after hearing sounds of soft growling from the trees. It wasn't long before Talia heard the noise too and sat upright.

"Did you hear that?" Lucy questioned.

Talia grabbed her sword, "let's find out what it is. Stay near me." she ordered, and both the girls got up, in hopes of finding the source of the growls. They quietly ran through the trees, in the golden sunlight, smiles of curiosity plastered over their faces. Petals of blossom appeared to dance around them, and this only caused the girls to smile harder. The blossoms turned into a face, a lady almost, and it laughed, she laughed- the magic of Narnia was returning. The girls followed the dancing, and laughing blossom petal lady, and she pointed behind them.

They quickly turned to see the trees moving to form a pathway for them, and the soft growling continued. The girls heard faint whispers calling their names forward, and of course they followed. The followed to a parting in the forest, where they were met with the most gorgeous animal either had ever laid eyes on.

Lucy smiled in recognition, "Aslan!" she exclaimed in wonder, rushing towards the Lion. But Talia held back, not wanting to impose on the meeting of two long lost friends. She watched with a smile, as Lucy ran up to the Lion, engulfing him in a gentle hug, "I've missed you so much!"

The lion let out a soft laugh, in response.

"You've grown!" the young girl spoke.

"Every year you grow, so shall I." he replied, with power and strength written into his words. He turned to the watching, older girl, "Talia, come forth. I have been waiting to meet you."

Talia's eyes grew wide, and she too walked over to the Lion, bowing before him.

"Oh, oh no need." he softly spoke, "You are just as Royal as I, and as Lucy here."