Chapter Thirty-Three

Warning: longer than usual chapter ahead! 

On Sunday, when we landed in Hyderabad, we were hoarded by the press, asking, "Are you married, ma'am?"

"Is it true that you had to get married sooner than expected, because of issues with your grandfather's health?"

"What did Arjun sir have to say about the preponed wedding?"

Luckily, Vivek, who had been off-duty for the duration of our stay in Bramapuram, was back on duty the minute the plane touched down.

I was shoved into a car and drove off swiftly. I breathed out in relief only after we reached the first toll gate into the city.

Told you you'd need a bodyguard.

Can someone tell my idiot brother that now is not the time to say I told you so? I've just had to face the trauma of a lifetime.

I hope you have a flat tyre, Karthik.

~.~.~.~.~

On the morning of my birthday, I wake up early, wash my hair, put that extra effort into curling my hair into beach waves and adorn new clothes; clothes that my mother approves of; clothes that look festive; clothes of Indian nature.

By the time I'm finished with my bath and do my hair, Sam and Dhriti wake up and get dressed.

They had stayed over after the mini-celebration at midnight. The boys had stayed over, too, but Siddharth said he was meeting with a producer early morning to discuss a script.

I slip into my cream-coloured trousers and kurta, both detailed with stonework, paired with a mint-green georgette dupatta that's embroidered with flowers.

Dhriti, Sam and I walk down the stairs, talking about my wedding. More like they're talking about all the possible destinations the wedding could be at, and I'm listening to them talk about it, because I don't know what I want.

Ever since the date for the wedding has been set, it's all anyone can talk about. Gayatri Athayya has taken up a renovation of Arjun's room, much to Junnu's displeasure; for two reasons: he has to give up his room until the renovation is done, and it's going to take a long time, and the second reason being that he likes his room as it is.

However, Gayatri Athayya wasn't ready to listen to anyone, not even me, when I told her that a renovation would be completely unnecessary. We've been talking a lot, about the renovation.

She wanted to renovate the entire house, but Arjun and his dad steered her from the idea with a little help from my mother and me.

She has surpassed all limits to the excitement!

My mother is looking for ways to make my wedding saree the most expensive and most heavy (she says lightweight, but I doubt). She has put in an order with Vrushali, another designer, who keeps in touch with local handloom artisans. She has ordered for a silk saree, detailed with gold, for the wedding. Vrushali has assured her that the thread work will be completely done by hand and that the saree will be of the exact type my mother wants.

Turns out I am tall, despite what Arjun might say, and they don't make many sarees for women of my height. My mother's also ordered a couple of sarees from different designers in India.

I'm not sure when I'm supposed to wear any of them, but we're getting the sarees anyway.

She hasn't made payments for any, adhering to the priest's auspicious dates to start shopping, to make the payments.

For the past three days, I've been bombarded with calls from designers; interior and fashion. I think I've had enough of it already.

And then there's Arjun who remains impassive about any decision that concerns his room. Well, I can understand why he'd not understand the difference between two shades of wood, or the types of curtains or the kind of furniture that goes into the room because I feel the same way, but since it's happening, can he please try and pretend to be interested, at least?