Chapter Sixty

I watch Arjun shuffle around, waiting for him to settle down so that I can start talking.

"How long are you going to take?" I ask him when he sits on the couch and is still looking around.

"I'm so sorry," he apologises. "Give me a minute, I'm trying to turn off the TV so that you can have all of my attention."

I watch my husband through my phone's screen, observing his tired face. Well, I suppose it's only expected since he's been at work all day.

"Long day at work?" I question when he looks straight at me after stabilising his phone.

"Long day at work," he confirms, sighing deeply as he rubs his face. "They make me work too hard, perks are too little."

I tsk in mock pity. "What a tough life you lead," I sympathise.

Arjun pouts, soaking in the sympathy. "The people at work are sucking the soul out of me. It's so hard to be nice and play nice sometimes."

I giggle. "Tell me about it."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "You're extremely professional. No one has a problem with your behaviour at work."

"No one has a problem with my behaviour anywhere," I tell him, sticking my tongue out at him.

"I'm sure," he agrees sarcastically, making me gape at him.

"Is that sarcasm I sense?"

"Are you the only one who's allowed to be sarcastic around here?" he counters.

"I think I've rubbed off on you too much," I tut.

"Maybe," he sounds solemn and serious.

I laugh at the theatrics. "Are you done now?"

"Maybe," he repeats, playfully.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about something—" I start, warming him up to the news.

"Is everything okay?" he asks hurriedly.

I frown. "Of course," I reply. "Everything's great. Why do you ask?"

"No, I was just wondering," he clarifies.

I shake my head. "Why does it have to be a bad thing if I want to talk about something?"

"It doesn't have to be," he agrees.

"Exactly," I point out. "Now, as I was saying," I continue, shifting on the bed to make myself more comfortable— "I'm going to London for work, next week—"

Arjun looks expectantly at me, waiting for me to continue.

"I thought I'd take the connecting flight through Dubai on my way back? If that's okay with you?"

"Isn't there a direct flight from London to Hyderabad?" Arjun questions casually, before unscrewing a bottle cap and gulping water down, his Adam's apple bobbing prominently.

"There is," I answer, unable to comprehend where this conversation is leading to.

"So isn't that just more convenient?" he asks.

I remain mum. Does he not understand? Is he trying to dodge the question? Maybe he doesn't want me to go to Dubai.

"I-um- yes," I voice out. "I'll just take the flight from London to Hyderabad."

Arjun looks at me for two long seconds. "Are you upset about something?" he asks. "Did I say something?"

"No, no, no," I shake my head. "I'm not upset. I was just thinking," I half-lie.