Hero

There was no wind that carried the smell of hotdogs and soda. There was no vibration to feel, like the beat of a drum. No movement at all. Just complete and utter silence. Normally I would find this peaceful. Just relaxing on a beach with no one around. Sip a beer and listen to the waves roll in. It irritated me being around people all day, five days a week. Sometimes even on the weekends, if I was requested to. At least it was decent money, though. Actually, that was a lie, it hardly paid the bills. I hate what I do, but I'm good at it. Not that it meant much to others though, unless they needed you.

Complete silence. No wind. No movement. Nothing.

I've learned how to handle this situation... I just felt a little anxious in the heat of the moment. Experiencing it was different than just learning. Once the initial shock dumbed down, everything clicked. I dropped down on my hands and knees, focused on my task at hand, and blew the wind back into the pipe that was absent of it. Without hesitation, I pushed down on the drum several times, sparking life back into the child. People applauded, and I nodded to them as the child spat out water. Celebration only lasted so long, though. Everyone went back to their own lives soaking up the sun. I walked back to the Lifeguard station counting down the time until I was finally off work.

__________

Thanks for reading!