In My Blood

The rush. It's why I'm doing it, why I continue to do it despite the risks. I can't stop. That feeling it gives me, a temporary high, I never want it to go away. I just have to keep doing it, to get that feeling again.

 Maybe I'm being dramatic, but I'm not over-exaggerating the feeling. Actually, the adrenaline is pumping in me now, realizing it's time. This once made me feel apprehensive, now I feel enthusiastic. Now... I embrace it. I love the way it fuels my body, begging me for more. And why shouldn't I give in?

 Freshened up, making certain I'm ready, concentrating on what I'm about to do. There's still a measure of caution that requires precedence when taking part in such gatherings. One wrong move could be the last choice you ever make. Maybe that is why I prefer it so much. Staring death in the face and tempting it to catch me. Makes me feel vigorous. Alive.

Death isn't the sole factor to worry about. Getting caught could be problematic, depending on who caught me. My parents will ground me for months, maybe more if they knew how long I've been doing this. The police will arrest me, no doubt. Not quite what I desire on my record right now. Not again.

While relaxing my mind in preparation, I notice my friend waving to me. Nodding back, he smiles excitedly, waving a fist and a bottle of beer in the air. I roll my eyes and wave my fist back at him, snickering as his eyes become large in excitement. He howls in celebration, which stirs up the group of people that came to our little event. I didn't need the cluster of people here, but they surely made it more lively.

Three... Two... One.

Nearly flooring the gas pedal, I feel the car lurch forward, shoving me back into my seat hard. The car gains 60 miles per hour in only 5.5 seconds. What I've been craving for all night. I could feel the adrenaline exerting itself. My eyes laser-focused. I feel good... no great. I'm going to win this.

The pack of cars race down the road, well over 100 in a 30 miles per hour zone. My car roars down the streets, its large engine making sure every house heard as I pass by. I imagine it waking up everybody, mostly in anger. The irritation on their faces that I, unfortunately, wouldn't see, makes me smirk and cackle to myself.

These drives never last very long though, especially going this quick. In no time, I cross the finish line where there were more people to greet me. First place. Finally. All my hard work and it's paid off. My opponent pulls in only a second afterward, pulling off the side of the road with me. I get out of my car to wave at her, who returned with a friendly gesture of showing me her middle finger. We have raced together before and while she's beaten me every time, I finally have one over her.

Our celebrations didn't last long. I hear the word "cops" and watch everyone scatter like rats. I scan around as I open my car's driver-side door and glimpse them driving down the same street we just raced on, their lights flipping on. The woman hops back into her car, wishing me luck as she darts away. I stare for another second at the police, knowing if I stay here now, I'll be in considerable trouble. The thought of losing my license, being away from my car, it's something I couldn't picture realistically.

But this car is mine. It's my fun, my liberation from life.

I'm still cooling off the adrenaline from the competition, but now I could feel it picking back up, causing me to shake a little. Racing... it's in my blood.

I hop in my car and drove away, giving chase to the police. I speed through the neighborhoods, taking the cops on an excursion through the town. After the first few minutes, a couple more cops enter the chase, so I take to the highway. I roll the windows down and let the wind blast in. This is what I enjoy the most. Driving fast, feeling that force, that energy. It's something I couldn't get anywhere else. And having the cops along only added to the thrill. Something I never thought I'd say.

In my mirror, I could see them behind me like a pack of ravenous wolves, hunting their prey they want to sink their teeth into. But I'm the cheetah that's about to outrun them without an issue.

Yet, the problem with going fast in life, is that you don't think. They outsmarted me and I didn't react in time.

I thought I could escape them.