Chapter 4

Elmer's POV:

We'd been visiting the bakery after selling for two days now, today being our third. We walked in around noon, we being Romeo, Albert and I. Katie immediately came over, greeting us with a warm smile. "What would ya like?"

"Would ya like to take a guess?" I joked, wiggling my eyebrows in a playful manner. I then realized I probably looked really childish, bit I honestly didn't care and she seemed to enjoy it.

"Sure. How 'bout a water for you, Elmer, and three specials?" She grinned, her voice perky as usual.

"Spot on," I grinned, throwing her a wink. Albert smacked my shoulder," hey!"

Katie chuckled, "I'll get it for ya." Albert shot her a worried look as she went to behind the counter. I shot him a 'what was that for', look. He shrugged. Not three minutes later, Katie was back and doing her signature balancing act. I noticed a side of whipped cream on the plate she set in front of me.

My eyes widened, yay!" I yelped, taking a hit with my finger and tasting it. "This is so good!"

"Thanks!" She smiled, toffee colored eyes scanning everyone. "I'll be back over in a bit." She left, giving some dude a coffee and bagel.

"Katie!" Another blonde girl waved the first over, only this one had green eyes instead of brown.

Katie grinned, running over to the other at the door, "hi, Jill!"

"How's the...you know?" The second girl asked, holding the first's arms.

"It's fine," Katie answered, a sigh escaping her lips. There's something I'm missing. "Hold on. Can you take care of that table of boys?"

"Sure, honey," Jill grinned, heading over to us as Katie disappeared. "How are you boys enjoying yourselves?"

"Fine," I answered, lost in thought. What's wrong? Why does she keep disappearing? I wonder if Albert knows.

"Good," Albert said, a flirty tone to his voice. I punched him before taking a bite of the special of the day. And let me tell you, it was good. Katie reappeared from seemingly nowhere, taking care of other customers that had walked in. I subtly watched her moving around frantically, but somehow with a fluid grace that I could only wish I had.

Albert and Romeo were watching as well, turning back to the remaining bits of their food as she approached. I did the same, tuning into hers' and Jill's conversation.

"Katie, it's time for me to head back to Brooklyn," the green-eyed girl sighed, giving Katie a quick hug. "You take care of yourself and I'll see you next week."

"Alright, bye," Katie sighed, moving a bit closer toward the door to talk.

After a bit of back-and-forth, the second blonde shrieked, "really?!" We all turned, getting a wave from Katie to mind our business. After a bit more chatting, "OoO! He's cute!" The second exclaimed once again.

They did a bit more talking, a few squeals emminating from both girls. "I think its time you go," Katie grinned, leading the other out the door.

"Fine," the other huffed as the door closed. Albert decided it was time for us to go. We dropped a few coins each on the table before grabbing our bags and heading out.

"See you next week!" Katie hollered after Jill, turning and bumping into me. The other two shuffled past as I grabbed her waist, pulling her back up in instinct.

"Sorry!" I yelped. She looked up, meeting my dark gaze with her own lighter one.

"Sorry! I shoulda been watching where I was going," she sighed, backing up a bit.

"You okay?" I asked her, briefly scanning her for injuries.

"Yeah, you?" She responded, doing the same to me.

"I's good," I smiled, rubbing the back of my neck. Albert motioned for me to catch up, so I ran off to meet up with them. I turned back for a second, watching as she headed back into the bakery, a smile on her face.

Lodging House

"Dude! You totally gotta torch for her!" Romeo grinned.

"So what if I do?" I shrugged, rolling the dice across the board.

"Because she probably has one for you, too," Albert chided, taking his turn.

"Doubtful," I sighed.

"Are ya serious? Have ya not noticed how little she gets out? We's her first and only friends," Albert hissed.

"Whatever. Who's to say she doesn't like one of ya?" I asked, heart sinking.

"I could take her," Romeo suggested, causing my brain to react and spasm into a pit of insecurities.

"Nah, I think Elmer gets this one," Jack grinned, patting my shoulder as he walked in.

"Thanks, Jack," I smiled, spirits lifting a bit. 

Next Day at the Bakery

We walked into the bakery around four in the afternoon, surprised when we didn't see Katie. The adult woman baker, I assumed she was Katie's mother served us today. Race had come with this time to meet Katie, Courtney had come with. "Where's Katie?" 

"Um, I'm not sure she'd want me to say," the mother sighed, looking out the door at the hospital.

"She's not in the hospital, is she?" Albert asked.

"Mrs..erm.." I tried.

"Kathy, just call me Kathy," she replied.

"Kathy, when is she gonna be back?" Race asked.

"Tomorrow," the blonde woman stated.

"Okay," I nodded.

"Can we get some food?" Courtney asked, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

"Sure, what would you like?" Kathy asked, suddenly looking more tired.

"Are you okay?" I questioned.

"Just tired," she replied shortly.

"We's gettin' the usual," Romeo chimed in.

"And what's that? Sorry, I don't normally serve the customers," she explained.

"We usually get a special for each of us and a water for me," I said.

"Can I get a water too?" Court asked.

"Sure. I'll be right back," Kathy left and came back with our order on a tray. Something I missed about Katie, she never used a tray.

"Thanks," we all said. After we had finished, Race decided to take Courtney home and the rest of us returned to the Lodging House.