Chapter 15 - Summer Studies and a Rescue Mission

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Hi, Harry!"

"Hi, Harry!"

_______________________________________________________________________________

The summer between third and fourth year was a hectic time for Betelgeuse.

Before going back, the girl had written a letter home about her curiosity about Animagi and the process to become one. When she had gone finally home for the summer holidays, he had surprised her with all the materials and ingredients needed for the intricate process.

Betelgeuse had been deeply moved by the clear display of support, and she had shed some happy tears, for his amusement.

She had voiced her concerns about the feasibility of the plan; she was an underage witch still, and she could not perform magic outside Hogwarts. He had the nerves to laugh at her for a whole minute. Betelgeuse had watched, annoyed, as he regained his bearings, only then he explained to her the matter.

Her grandfather Orion Black had erected all sort of magical barriers and every security measure known to wizard-kind around the house. No one outside the wards could have noticed her or another inhabitant of the house practise magic. 

They both knew that the process of becoming an Animagus was lengthy and strenuous and had the potential to rebound and cause the transformation to go horribly awry.

Kreacher had come back at Grimmauld Place with a stash of Mandrake leaves and one ampoule filled with Death's-head Hawk Moth chrysalis. As for the dew untouched by the rays of the sun or humans for at least seven days, he had said to wait and that he knew the perfect place to pick it up.

So, for her first month back at home, Betelgeuse had held the Mandrake leaf in her mouth without being able to utter a single word. The house was even quieter than usual, and they had resolved to speak through the art of Legilimency. He was a capable practitioner of the art and could perform Legilimency nonverbally and wandlessly. On the other hand, Betelgeuse was born with the ability to passively perceive minds without any difficulty. 

When he had first discovered her talent, he had been ecstatic and had trained her tirelessly to refine and control it.

No one knew of her ability, not even Fred and George. She wanted to talk to them about it, but she could not fathom how they could react to the news. Maybe Dumbledore could have a guess as she remembered his attempt at invading her mind. 

That old fool.

Today was the day, Betelgeuse was feeling anxious.

They had placed the now-soaked Mandrake leaf in a small crystal phial where it could be struck directly by the light given off by the moon. Lucky for them that night was clear and cloudless. They had added one strand of her raven black hair to the phial, with a teaspoon of the dew Kreacher had retrieved for her. The final ingredient had been one Death's-head Hawk Moth chrysalis. He had said to store the mixture in a dark, undisturbed place until the next lightning storm. For that matter, they had not had problems, the house was a giant black hole, filled with dark corners. During this waiting period, Betelgeuse had to, at sunrise and sundown without fail, chant the incantation Amato Animo Animato Animagus with the tip of her wand placed over the heart.