Chapter 24 - The Duelling Club

_______________________________________________________________________________

The news that Colin Creevey had been attacked had spread through the entire school by Monday morning. Betelgeuse had gathered that he was the first-year Gryffindor with the muggle camera at Quidditch practice.

The Black had decided to make her way to the Hospital Wings to visit the poor boy.

She would have been a liar to state that she did it only for a pure and selfless change of heart, no, she was driven by the searching of knowledge that so much equalled her to a Slytherin.

She passed the grand arched threshold of the Wings, approaching the only occupied bed. There Colin lied still, paralysed, and unresponsive. Betelgeuse examined the unfortunate soul with her attentive grey eyes. It was like the boy was stuck in the middle of taking a picture. His forearms were bent upwards with his hands in front of his face as if to hold an object. His visage was caught in an expression of fear as if he wanted to block the horrors presented to him.

This cannot be a Full Body-Bind Curse, it would have been already lifted otherwise.

A terrible thought began to meander in her mind.

Petrification.

She had a bad feeling about what had caused the attack. A forsaken beast crawled out of pure black nightmares, but she did not have a single proof of it.

She noticed the nurse move in her office in the corner of her eyes. She turned and, without making a noise, left the Hospital Wings.

☆☆☆

Betelgeuse noticed the change of atmosphere in the school.

The air was abruptly thick with rumour and mistrust. The first-years were now moving around the castle in tight-knit groups, as though terrified they would be attacked if they ventured forth alone.

Ginny Weasley, who Betelgeuse apprehended sat next to Colin Creevey in Charms, was distraught. Fred and George were taking turns covering themselves with fur or boils to cheer her up. They solely stopped when Percy, apoplectic with wrath, informed them he would have written to Molly and reported her Ginny was having nightmares.

Some students had begun to steer away from Betelgeuse. She suspected because of her status of Heir of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, a House of notorious blood purists and supremacists, crazed with the obsession of cleansing the magical blood.