Chapter 49 - Under the Cruel Moon

______________________________________________________________________________

I am afraid of all I am,

The clear cloudless night terrifies me.

A Monster, that's what I am.

______________________________________________________________________________

Betelgeuse had never been part of a more peculiar group. Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; Remus, Pettigrew, and Ron went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. Next came Professor Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his own wand, pointed at him by Sirius.

Betelgeuse walked silently beside her uncle, watching as Snape kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling. Betelgeuse had the impression Sirius was making no effort to prevent this.

"You look just like your father," Sirius commented, glancing at her. "I mean — not like a man, but —" He went on, raking a hand through his matted hair. Betelgeuse listened to his struggles, amused. "— you look just like him when he was young — but not like a lad! Merlin, I'm messing this up, aren't I?"

Betelgeuse smirked, "Do not fret, uncle. It was to be expected that your ability to dialogue had taken a turn to the worse after twelve years. I forgive you."

Sirius' gaunt face broke into the first true smile Betelgeuse had seen upon it. The difference it made was startling, as though a person ten years younger was shining through the starved mask; for a moment, he was recognisable as the man she had seen in a few old photos at Grimmauld Place. "Remus! She took after me! Same charming silver tongue. Captivating, isn't she?"

Betelgeuse heard Remus mutter something along the line of 'Merlin, have mercy'.

"So, you're a fifth-year, right?" Sirius asked as Harry and Hermione went ahead of them. Uncle and niece brought up the rear.

Betelgeuse nodded, "I just had my O.W.L.s."

"Ah! The O.W.L.s.," Sirius exclaimed, grinning, "I remember my exams —well, the after-party. Minnie was so furious when I brought a lion into the Common Room to celebrate. Can't understand her reaction to this day."

Betelgeuse met his grinning grey eyes and let out a pearl of laughter. "I asked her during career advice if I could dilapidate the Black fortune for a leaving. She said no. I am equally surprised." She shrugged, making Sirius let out a bark of laughter.

"Another Gryffindor in the family. My mother is rolling in the grave, I tell you." His grey eyes then darted towards Harry, and he hesitated.

"Go," Betelgeuse ordered softly, nodding to the younger student.