Chapter 18 - The massive peacock

_____________________________________________________________________________

"You're joking!"

______________________________________________________________________________

After having left the Gringotts Bank, they had decided to stroll around the various shops in Diagon Alley. Betelgeuse had opted for Amanuensis Quills shop for some new squills and ink, while the twins and Lee had made their way to Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke Shop. Fred and George had said they needed to stock up on Dr Filibuster's Fabulous Wet-Start and some No-Heat Fireworks. Betelgeuse had promised to join them after she had brought what she needed.

The girl walked towards Twilfitt and Tattings, a wizarding clothing shop located on South Side in Diagon Alley. It was an upscale shop favoured by wealthy pure-blood families. She chose the shop solely because only there she could find the Castleton green silk that he loved so much for his cravats. After having managed to escape from the clutches of the too obsequious owner, she headed towards Flourish and Blotts.

She met the twins outside the bookshop.

"Where have you been, Bel?" George asked, grasping her hand, and trying to make his way through the large crowd jostling outside the doors.

"An overzealous witch tried to sell me her entire stock of silks. I had to distract her to escape," Betelgeuse huffed, trying to get in the shop with Fred and George. "Why are we even here?" Betelgeuse groaned, nearly falling over because of an excited fan of Lockhart. "Watch it!" The girl seethed, flashing an angered glare to the enthusiastic witch.

They finally arrived at the front of the crowd in the shop and Betelgeuse heard Hermione Granger squeal, "we can actually meet him!"

"Salazar's balls," Betelgeuse muttered, making the twins laugh.

"Oh, there you are, good," Molly said. She sounded breathless and kept patting her hair. "We'll be able to see him in a minute," she added dreamily.

Gilderoy Lockhart came gradually into view, seated at a table surrounded by giant pictures of his own face, all winking and flashing dazzlingly white teeth at the crowd. The real Lockhart was wearing robes of forget-me-not blue that precisely matched his eyes; his pointed wizard's hat was set at a rakish angle on his wavy hair. 

"He looks like a massive peacock," Betelgeuse critically said, examining the wizard. George laughed as Fred nodded, annoyed. "Loads of bull."

Betelgeuse watched as Gilderoy Lockhart stared in their direction. Then he leapt to his feet and boldly shouted, "it can't be Harry Potter?" The crowd parted, whispering feverishly; Lockhart dived forward, seized Harry's arm, and pulled him to the front.

Betelgeuse could not stifle a laugh seeing the horrified face of Harry as Lockhart shook his hand for the photographer, who was clicking away madly, wafting thick smoke over the Weasleys.

"Nice big smile, Harry! Together, you and I are worth the front page."

"Poor Potter, he will forever be remembered as the boy who was kidnapped by the most humongous peacock that ever walked on Earth," Betelgeuse said flatly. Fred and George had tears in their eyes because of how hard they were laughing.