Chapter 35 - Unsettling Boggarts

______________________________________________________________________________

"Please understand that I was in

pain. I never meant to ruin everything. 

I never meant to ruin our kinship."

______________________________________________________________________________

Betelgeuse abhorred Herbology with a passion.

The fifth-years Gryffindors went out to the greenhouses for the class of Professor Sprout two times a week. Aside from the curative magical herbs and plants that had spiked Betelgeuse's interest through her years at Hogwarts, she found herself loathing the mundane study of unusual and sometimes dangerous plants.

Today was not an exception. To nobody's surprise, Professor Sprout had started their lesson by lecturing them about the importance of O.W.L.s., then she had presented the blasted Fanged Geranium to the class. It was a common garden plant known to bite or attack if not taken care of. The only information noteworthy for Betelgeuse was that its fangs were used as potion ingredients. In the Strength Potion and in Skele-Gro, for instance.

Betelgeuse observed in mild repugnance as the long-stemmed plant swayed left and right with its gaping maw in the hope to bite anyone nearby.

"I hate this class," she muttered to George, who was attempting to tend to the Geranium without success. Fred snorted beside her, "Don't we know? Eh, Georgie? Remember second year?"

George nodded, "You left us alone to fend ourselves from that blasted Mandrake."

"You two are so melodramatic," Betelgeuse replied with a bored tone.

Abruptly they heard a commotion two rows back; turning around, Betelgeuse noticed Adrian Pucey trying to snatch his robe from the sealed maw of a Fanged Geranium.

"Someone should help him," George commented, remaining motionless beside the girl.

"I would," Betelgeuse responded with an unconcerned edge to her voice, "but who am I to play Fate?"

George and Fred exchanged a look, "Cruel, Black," George stated, laughing.

"What? You'll let your boyfriend get eaten by a plant?" Fred charged, casually straightening his tie. Betelgeuse reached for the untidy knot that Fred dared to call a tie, slapped his hands away and, without even thinking, righted it for him. "He is not my boyfriend, Fred," she began with an indulgent voice as if addressing a child, "I had a butterbeer with him last year, and neither of us sought to reach the other during summer."

She saw George send a pointed look to his older twin.

"Whatever," Fred grumbled.

Finally, Herbology was over. Betelgeuse hiked back to the castle with the twins, looking forward to the DADA class that waited for them.

As they made their way to the Serpentine Corridor on the third floor, they crossed path with a group of younger students. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were among them. Betelgeuse overheard a younger Gryffindor say, "Hey, Harry, have you heard? Daily Prophet this morning — they reckon Sirius Black's been sighted." Betelgeuse paused.