Chapter 47 - O.W.L.s.

______________________________________________________________________________

The castle grounds were shimmering in the sunlight as though freshly painted; the cloudless sky smiled at itself in the placidly sparkling lake, the satin-green lawns rippled in a gentle breeze. June had arrived, but to the fifth-years, this meant only one thing, their O.W.L.s were upon them at last. The teachers were no longer setting them homework; classes were devoted to reviewing those topics their professors thought most likely to come up in the exams.

Betelgeuse was spending a lot of time muttering to herself and reviewing her notes feverishly. Scott Abberley, a fifth-year Ravenclaw with whom Betelgeuse had never talked with, had developed an irritating habit of questioning people about their study habits. "How many hours d'you think you're doing a day?" he demanded of the twins and Betelgeuse as they queued outside Herbology, a manic gleam in his eyes.

"I don't know," Fred replied. "A few —"

"More or less than eight?"

"Less, I s'pose," George interjected, looking alarmed. 

"I'm doing eight," Abberley stated, puffing out his chest. "Eight or nine. I'm getting an hour before breakfast every day. Eight's my average. I can do ten on a good weekend day. I did nine and a half on Monday. Not so good on Tuesday — only seven and a quarter. Then on Wednesday —"

Betelgeuse was deeply thankful that Professor Sprout ushered them into greenhouse three at that point, forcing Scott Abberley to abandon his recital.

☆☆☆

"Curse-breaker is just a fancy title for grave robbers?"

Fred glanced up from his star map, blinking at Betelgeuse. They were sitting at the Gryffindor table, studying together, with George and Lee. The Black was starting to lose focus after hours of study. "A person of the male gender polyguised as a female can get pregnant?"

"Bel, what —? You know, it's actually a good question," Fred said, furrowing his eyebrow at the muttering Black.

"It's not part of the program, right?" Betelgeuse heard Lee worriedly ask George.

They received their examination schedules and details of the procedure for O.W.L.s during their next Transfiguration lesson. "As you can see," Professor McGonagall told the class while they copied down the dates and times of their exams from the blackboard, "your O.W.L.s are spread over two successive weeks. You will sit the theory exams in the mornings and the practice in the afternoons. Your practical Astronomy examination will, of course, take place at night."