Chapter 65 - Beauxbatons and Durmstrang

____________________________________________________________________________

I fell in love with a world through her eyes.

____________________________________________________________________________

The appearance of the Triwizard Tournament sign in the Entrance Hall had a marked effect upon the occupants of the castle.

Betelgeuse found herself crossing the massive stone arch that delimited the entrance of the Astronomy Tower in the early hours of Friday.

She had soundlessly wandered around the dormant castle like a Wraith.

Silent and unnoticed.

There was something so utterly compelling in taking a step back, escaping the flow of time and space and observe the World around.

She had seen the castle many a time, in various sorts of conditions.

Crowded, full of raucous laughter, quiet, abandoned, placid, yet nothing could compare it to the thing she perceived at that moment under the archway of the Astronomy Tower. The sconces had torches inserted into them, bathing the round chamber in an eerie and faint light. 

As Betelgeuse followed the tongues of light that stretched out like black snakes on the stone floor, her molten grey eyes settled on the lone figure perched on the parapet as a beacon of splendour.

A surprisingly rumpled mop of white-blond hair reflected the glow of thousands of stars, resembling the cold grey colour of the eyes that Betelgeuse could already envision regarding her with tired eloquence.

She frowned.

Draco was a slender boy, but his shoulderblades looked too protruding for her liking, and the tall Black did not approve of his hunched posture.

Something tugged at her heart for the lonely pureblooded young man.

Unsufferable, Muggle-hating, slur-loving twat.

She unhurriedly strolled towards her cousin, pausing once she had reached the stone parapet.

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves".

She spoke, redirecting her eyes from the dotted canvas of darkness above and startling the younger pureblood.

"Bel! You scared me," Draco exclaimed, clearing his throat under the amused gaze of his cousin. "And what are you going on about?"

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves," Betelgeuse cryptically replied and refrained a smirk at Draco's exasperated expression.

"Salazar, why even bother!" Draco grumbled, raking his hand through his hair. "You always speak in riddles, and I can't understand you half the time."

"You speak an infinite deal of nothing," Betelgeuse aloofly returned, not bothered at all by the boy's quip.

Draco fixed her with his pale grey eyes slightly widened and his mouth agape. "I can't believe you," he breathed out. "I can't believe Theodore! How can he fancy an eccentric nutter like you."