Ch. 11 - cereal

A/N: the next chapter should be out in the next few days, and I've figured out where I'm going with the plot line.
Have fun reading!

Deku POV

I wake up with a gasp, wincing as I sit up into an upright position. Flashes from my latest dream plague my vision as I take in my surroundings, slowly getting my breathing back to normal. I look over to see Shinso asleep in his chair, head in his hands on the desk.

I feel myself tearing up but I don't want to cry right now because that's all I ever do anymore. I shake my head, taking a deep breath.

You can do this. You're safe now, it's over.

I glance over at the clock on Shinso's desk and see it's just past 5am. I used to get up at 5 on school days to work out, so I might as well get back into my schedule. After all, I missed months of training. I'll have to work even harder to catch up again. I bring my hand up to make a fist but startle when I have trouble moving any of my fingers. I couldn't move them yesterday either.

My lower lip finds its way between my teeth as I chew nervously. It hurts and I remember that my lip is busted.

Well... at least my hand doesn't hurt anymore. I'm sure it's only temporary. A week from now it will be totally back to normal as if nothing ever happened to it... right?

It has to be. How would I become a hero without the use of my hand if I have a strength-based quirk? How could I become a symbol of peace?

I'm overthinking. When Shinso wakes up I'll ask him about it, because the doctors probably told him.

With that out of the way I'm left to worry about my legs. I know that they still work, but I'm pretty sure the bone in one of my legs was shattered. Nothing new there. Its not broken anymore, thankfully. They're probably going to make me go to physical therapy. I don't have time for that though, I'm going to be behind all of my classmates.

Maybe... maybe I should try walking right now.

I slip my legs out from under the ridiculously soft sheets and let my bare feet touch the floor. There's not really anything for me to hold on to other than the bed, so I push myself into a standing position.

My legs tremble like the last time I tried to walk, except this time I notice that one of them hurts a bit more than the other. It's the one that I broke.

All things considered, they did a pretty good job fixing me. I wonder if Recovery girl was there.

I take a small step away from the bed, and breathe a sigh of relief. A small glance behind me and I know that I'm close enough that if I need to I can fall back into the bed. My legs are starting to burn like they do after a long workout, and I take another step so that my feet are together.

This will be easy.

I take another small step, and another, walking towards the bathroom. When I'm a few steps away from the door my leg gives out from under me as I'm about to take another step. I land on my hands and knees, but soon crumple into a ball as a throbbing pain expands out from my knee.

Shinso lifts his head from his desk, letting out a small groan as he rubs his eyes. The first thing he notices is the lamp on his desk which he forgot to turn off before he fell asleep, and then he turns to the source of the noise, me.

"What're you- wait no are you okay?"

I try to respond but instead I melt into tears. Haven't I done enough of that lately?