Ch. 53 - behavior

A/N: I'm back, with one of the longest chapters yet! It's the least I can do since you've all been so patient. Thank you.

Trigger warning: slight gore in the first few paragraphs. Nothing too graphic though.
Have fun reading!

Shinso POV

     "Stop, I'm begging you! I-I'll give it to you, just let him go, kill me instead!" He sobs, and his eyes hold so much pain. It's all I can do to give him a small reassuring smile.

     I'm so sorry, Midoriya. I wish I could have told you how I felt while there was still time.

     We keep our eyes locked together even as his overflow with tears and he doesn't stop begging. I don't think about Toga as she brings her knife down and I hear it cutting through the air.

     Her knife never reached its mark though, because a deafening scream blasted her off of me and made my ears ring. Present Mic ran over to cuff her while I laid limp on the floor, heart beating wildly in my chest. Another hero jumped over me, restraining someone who was about to attack Aizawa sensei. My teacher was down on one knee, wiping blood from his lip with the back of his hand.

     "Thanks, Miruko." He acknowledged.

     I rolled onto my stomach and pushed myself into a standing position, ears ringing and everything in slow motion, about to go over to finish releasing Midoriya. I spotted Midnight though, and she was letting out her quirk across the building so I stood behind her. Mic helped Aizawa over to us and Miruko came over as well, plugging her nose.

     Soon all the villains in the warehouse were knocked out, and Midoriya was too. The second I got the clear I ran over to him, grabbing the pocket knife from the floor and getting to work on his arms. I was pretty drowsy because of Midnight's quirk but I fought it off in favor of getting Midoriya far away from here. I've got you back and I'm not ever going to let this happen again.

     I check him for injuries, but he doesn't seem to be too injured so I carefully pick him up and cradle him to my chest as I walk back to the other heroes. Aizawa is on the phone with the detective, probably to tell the police station to bring these villains in. Miruko goes around restraining the villains just in case something happens, and Mic steps forward to double check Midoriya for injuries with shaking hands.

     "I'll stay here and keep an eye on them while the police are on their way so you guys can take the kid away from here." Miruko calls from across the room, and Aizawa sensei thanks her.

     Present Mic leads us to a car and I get in the backseat with Midoriya, not bothering to put my seatbelt on. I wouldn't be able to anyway with him in my lap, and I am not letting him go right now. Aizawa tried to get in the driver's seat but Mic practically forced him to the passenger side.

     "You're injured. You're crazy if you think I'm gonna let you drive right now, Shota." Mic watched with amused eyes as Aizawa let out an annoyed huff and sat down in the passenger seat, wincing as he did so. His gaze didn't linger too long as his eyes flicked to look at Midoriya in my arms.

     "I'm gonna have to take care of both of you now, aren't I?" He jokes, glancing back at Aizawa.

     "Yeah, whatever. Just get us back to the school." Aizawa complained, and Mic laughed in response.

     I turned my attention back to Midoriya, studying his face. It's blurred, and I realize it's because there are tears in my eyes. I see flashes from just a few minutes ago when he was screaming and begging for that girl to let me go. The look on his face made me feel guilty even though I was trying to save him. It made me feel like he would have been happier if he died instead of me. Well, that does sound like him, always being the hero. Maybe that's why I like him so much. He's kind, selfless, hardworking, and really cute. The selflessness makes me a little nervous sometimes though, I can't help but not want him to get hurt.