Ch. 33 - first

A/N: full disclosure: I don't know how funerals work. I'm trying my best tho?

Trigger warning:
It's a funeral, and it lasts the entire chapter. Most of it is not in Midoriya's POV so it's not as emotional. There will also be a labeled trigger warning which takes up a portion of the beginning of the chapter. In this section Midoriya demonstrates a trauma response due to feeling like he is suffocating.
As always, take care of yourself and
Have fun reading!

Izuku POV

I turn at the familiar voice, seeing Mitsuki running towards me with a strangely quiet kacchan in tow.

(⚠️trigger warning start⚠️)

She practically throws herself on me in a bear hug and I desperately ignore the fight or flight response that's threatening to take over my body.

Deep breaths.

"I'm so sorry! I haven't seen you in forever, even before those damn villain bastards kidnapped you, and now this?! I can't believe Inko's gone- you had to go through so much bullshit and my idiot of a son didn't tell me anything about it! I had to see it all on the news!" Her grip tightens around my neck.

"Shut up, you old hag! I didn't fuckin know either!"

Tears pricked the corner of my eyes as I desperately tried to calm down. My deep breaths weren't working because my mouth and nose were covered by her shoulder and she was squeezing my neck, or maybe I was just freaking out too much and it was making it too difficult to breathe.

This shouldn't bother me. It's a literal hug, so why am I panicking? Why won't my brain just listen to me?

———

Aizawa POV

Izuku did not return Bakugo's mother's hug, or respond to anything she said. His whole body was rigid and completely unmoving. I spared a glance up to Shinso to see he looked panicked, glancing between bakugo's mother and Izuku frantically, hands raised slightly.

My gaze immediately shifted back to bakugo's mother and I glared at her. I swear, if you hurt my son, you better be ready to die. I'll make it look like an accident too. Actually, scratch that. Wrong place wrong time.

I could tell Hizashi was also glaring at her. When she felt our gazes she looked up, before visibly shrinking back and letting go of Izuku. When she was a few steps away my eyes went straight to Izuku, where Shinso and Hizashi had already scrambled to make sure he was okay. He didn't react at first, still sitting in that rigid position. Hizashi looked on nervously as Shinso spoke to Izuku in hushed tones.

I glanced back over to a confused and scared looking Bakugo's mother, and saw Bakugo explaining what happened.

"The nerd's probably having a fucking panic attack. He went through some rough shit. Or something. It's not like I fucking care." He crossed his arms and looked away. I sighed. As much of an ass as he is, thank goodness he's improving. At least he's not making fun of him or something.

I looked back to Izuku to see him breathing more normally, stammering out apologies to both Shinso and Hizashi. He turned to Bakugo's mother next, trying to apologize to her. Thankfully, she wouldn't let him, saying that it was her fault. Wise choice.

(⚠️ trigger warning end⚠️)

I took this opportunity to look at the others in the area. There were quite a lot of people, most of them looking at us, probably because of Bakugo's mother's screaming. I really needed to remember her name. Considering Izuku was his mother's only known family, I wondered who most of these other people were.