Ch. 17 - Reunion

A/N: ...oops?

Trigger warning:
This trigger warning contains major spoilers for this chapter. This chapter includes watching a loved one flatline in a hospital. Please, do not read past the warning (⚠️) if this will negatively affect you/your mental health. I know that now more than ever reading this kind of thing can be really stressful for a lot of people, and I encourage you to take care of yourself.
Without further ado,
Have fun reading!

Midoriya POV

There was a quiet knock on the door and Shinso was quick to open it. Aizawa glanced strangely between the two of us, probably looking at our red faces. He shook his head and sighed, probably deciding not to comment on it.

"Your mother is on her way here right now." He began, and my eyes lit up. Mom? I missed her so much. As childish as it seems, a few times when I was there I would imagine hugging her at home.

"We didn't inform her of your discharge earlier because we didn't want word to get out and have to deal with hundreds of people from the press trying to see you. If you're ready we can go to the principal's office. That's where she'll be going."

"YES... please. Sorry." I speak before thinking and then feel bad for yelling when I see Aizawa visibly cringe.

"There's nothing to apologize for. Follow me." He says in his usual deadpan voice. I never noticed how similar Aizawa and Shinso are. I guess I didn't really know Shinso too well until now.

——————

She should be here soon.

Thats what Nezu said twenty-three minutes ago, after mentioning how glad he was to have me back and to apologize for not speaking to me sooner.

"Tea, anyone?" He asked, refilling his own cup.

I shook my head, and neither Shinso or Aizawa wanted any.

I stare at a fly crawling across the low table in front of the couch in the room.

Any second now, she'll come through the door. What will I do when I see her? I probably won't have to do anything. She'll burst through the door crying and embrace me in one of those hugs that I imagined to keep me sane while I was there.

*RING*

I startle when Nezu's phone goes off, looking over in anticipation. She's never been to UA before, she probably got lost trying to find the office. I wonder if that's her calling or it's something unrelated.

"Hello, this is Nezu, UA's principal. How can I help you?" The principal spoke cheerily into the phone speaker.

There is a pause as someone on the other line speaks, and Nezu furrows his brows.

"Yes, he attends this school. Can I ask what business you have with my student?"

There is another pause, this time much longer.

"I see. I will let him know as soon as possible. Thank you." The whole mood in the room shifts, and suddenly I'm one hundred times more nervous. It probably doesn't even have anything to do with me.

(⚠️trigger warning start⚠️ )

"Midoriya, the hospital just called. Your mother was hit by a car a few blocks away from the school." My breath catches in my throat. What?

"She is awake and in the hospital right now, but they don't think she will make it. They couldn't catch the driver but they think whoever hit her was trying to kill her."

No. "Mom..." I whimper, doubling over in the wheelchair. No, she can't die. I need her. I still can't breathe, and I clutch at my shirt.

"Midoriya! I need you to look at me." Shinso is on his knees in front of me, staring into my soul. My eyes are wide and I can hear my heartbeat in my ears.

"We might make it on time so you can talk to her, but we can't do that if you're freaking out, okay?" I nod my head weakly, aggressively rubbing the tears off of my face. I take in a deep breath.

"Shinso, ditch the wheelchair and just carry him to my car. It'll be faster." Aizawa says, sounding rushed.

When Shinso doesn't immediately react he speaks again.

"Let's go. Times running out." He growls out.

Shinso puts one arm under my knees and the other behind my back, lifting. Once we exit Nezu's office Aizawa starts running, Shinso keeping up with him.

Soon I'm in a car and Aizawa is driving. There's a lot of traffic. Please move faster. None of us have our seatbelts on. Aizawa slams the car horn and I flinch.

"Shit." He whispers under his breath. "Come on." He's glaring at the car in front of us, even though it's not doing anything wrong.

Shinso keeps looking between my visibly shaking form and the cars in front of us. He looks panicked.

"Goddamnit. Shinso, you're gonna have to run there with Midoriya." Shinso blanched.

"What?"

"We're not gonna make it like this and I can't leave the car. Unless you have a drivers license I can't take him. It's six blocks down and then turn left and you'll see it after a few more blocks. I'll call to let them know you're allowed to go up."

Shinso looked over to me with wide eyes. "Okay." He opens the car door and gets out, and I scoot over so he can grab me.

"Get on my back, it'll be faster." He turns around and crouches in front of me so I can put my arms around his neck, and he grabs under my knees. He weaves us between the still cars to get to the sidewalk. Once we're on the sidewalk he takes off, bumping into a few people. One of them yells at us. I close my eyes tightly to block them out.

She can't leave me so soon.

When Shinso bursts through the doors to the hospital his chest is heaving as he tries to slow his breathing. His arms are shaking.

"Are you here for miss Midoriya?" The lady at the front desk asks. Thank you, Aizawa.

"Yes." Shinso says between pants, coughing a little.

"Third floor, 118, left side. Try to be quiet." She speaks in a rushed tone, and I'm glad she understands the urgency of the situation.

I'm almost there mom. You're going to be fine. You have to.

Shinso runs past the elevator, straight towards the stairs, and runs up. "We're... gonna... make it...." Shinso grits out between pants. I'm not sure if he's talking to me or not. His sneakers pound on the tile floor, heavier with the added weight of me on his back. There are no other sounds in the hall, at least as far as I can tell. He skids to a stop in the long hallway, in front of the door with the number 118 painted on it. He slams the door open with more force than I thought he had, and I shout as I scramble off of his back, landing in a heap on the floor.

"Mom!"

"Izu...ku." The heart monitor flatlined.

(⚠️trigger warning end ⚠️ )

1101 words.